Chapter 13: Day After Day

The week goes on at an agonizingly slow pace as everyone tries to start adjusting to the changes that have taken place. Rosita and Eliza move out of their old apartment and move Rosita's stuff into her and Waverly's new place. Things run smoothly with next to no trouble from anyone or anything. The only problem is the lack of company from a certain tall redhead that Waverly has become very accustomed to lately. Days pass and Waverly and Rosita begin to slowly move Waverly's things into their new apartment from her hotel room. Nicole and Wynonna finally stop by briefly to help with things, Nicole supplying the actual help they need and Wynonna supplying the booze.

It's been a long few days for Waverly, to say the least. Waiting for your college ex to permanently break off an engagement with a gorgeous lady doctor, or not, and potentially getting back together with the aforementioned college ex is kind of anxiety-inducing. Waverly is beginning to feel selfish for the things she keeps thinking, about how she keeps saying that she knows Nicole wants to be with her. She keeps making up reasons why Nicole should choose her over Shae, and some of them she knows aren't true or aren't fair.

The deep-rooted past she has with Nicole, for example. That isn't something that Shae can control, that she came into Nicole's life after Waverly had already left it. They are college exes, they were in love, and they had a falling out. Those are the facts that Waverly has to stick to in order for her to not go crazy over the whole situation. She wants Nicole, she wants whatever they had back in college. She knows things will be different if they try again, but she also knows that things will be better. Both women have grown and matured in their time apart and Waverly just knows that that Nicole has become the person Waverly had hoped she would become. Three short knocks on the door bring Waverly out of her thoughts and she jumps, startled by the sudden noise.

"Coming!" She calls from her room as she makes her way to the door. Waverly opens the door and is surprised to see Nicole standing before her, a brown paper bag in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other, dressed in her work clothes; she came straight from Gusto's.

"Hey," Nicole breathes out.

"Hi," Waverly replies and leans against the doorframe.

"Can I come in?" Nicole asks. "I brought leftovers from the kitchen at work," she holds up the bag, "and some wine that they were going to get rid of," she lifts the bottle.

"You came here straight from work?" Waverly can't help the smile that forms on her face. "You don't want to go change first?"

"Too much trouble," the redhead shrugs.

"Nicole, you live next door."

"I know, but I really need to talk to you," Nicole meets Waverly's eyes. "And it can't wait."

"Then, by all means, come in," Waverly steps to the side, allowing Nicole to enter. She closes and locks the door behind them before facing Nicole again. "Is everything alright?"

Nicole doesn't answer right away, her nerves taking ahold of her. She sets the food and wine on the counter before she wrings her hands together tightly and starts pacing back and forth. Waverly assumes that Nicole is about to drop a major bomb on her, crushing every ounce of hope in her body like a truck crushing an empty can of soda on the ground. Waverly keeps her eyes glued to Nicole, preparing herself for what she knows is about to come and trying to give Nicole the time and space she needs to gather her courage to speak.

"I gave the ring back to Shae," Nicole finally says and she stops pacing, keeping her back to Waverly.

"Oh," Waverly breathes out, leaning back against the door. "I understand," she nods. "She's been there for you when I haven't been, and has grown with you after I up and left."