Chapter 12: New Beginnings and Bright Futures

Waverly is sitting in her car in the parking lot of Wynonna and Nicole's apartment complex with Rosita, more nervous than she should be. She checks the time for the third time within the hour and sighs when she realizes that she still isn't set to meet with Mercedes for another thirty minutes. She's nervous and on edge and she blames Nicole. Nicole is the one who told Mercedes that she's in need of a new place. And of course, knowing Mercedes, she picked this complex for a reason. Mercedes has always been one to meddle in other people's relationships because her own kept falling apart; that and the fact that she's Wynonna's best friend, and Wynonna tells her everything.

"Waves, it's okay," Rosita says from the passenger seat. "You don't have anything to worry about."

"Yes I do," Waverly looks at her friend. "What if things get awkward?" She says insinuating things with Nicole. "If I'm living here and things go to shit, I won't be able to escape her."

"So don't chose this place, then."

"But the rent is cheap. And it's a nice place," Waverly sighs. "Rosita, did I make a mistake last night?"

"What, you mean making out with your ex-girlfriend and then being caught by her fiancé?"

"Very specific, but yes. What if I just screwed everything up?"

"Waverly," Rosita places a hand on Waverly's knee, "I don't think you messed up. If Nicole really kissed you the way you said she did, then she wants to make things work with you as much as you want to with her."

"I don't know. She said she needed a few days to think things over. I thought for sure she'd give her answer right away."

"Cut the girl some slack," Rosita squeezes Waverly's knee reassuringly. "Breaking off an engagement, even to someone you might not want to marry, is a huge deal. I can guarantee that even if she knew what she wanted, Nicole would still need time to sort everything out."

"Okay," Waverly takes a deep breath and exhales though her nose, "you're right."

"Of course I am," Rosita smiles. "Now let's go meet with Mercedes and find you a new place to live."

- - - - -

"Haught!" Wynonna yells as she kicks Nicole's bedroom door open. "Get your ass out of bed and tell me why Dolls just told me that he saw you locking lips with Waverly."

Shit. Nicole pulls the covers over her head and groans, feeling a hangover coming on. "Define 'locking lips'."

"You know damn well what it means, smart ass," Wynonna pulls the comforter off of the bed which elicits another groan from the taller woman.

"Wynonna, coming from you, that could mean many things."

"Don't beat around the bush and tell me the truth."

Nicole slowly sits up and faces her roommate. Surprisingly, the look on her face isn't one of anger. It's more of an amused smirk than anything. "Fine," Nicole says. "Yes, I kissed Waverly. In my defense, though, she started it. She leaned in first. I was too drunk to stop myself."

"But not drunk enough to forget that it happened," Wynonna raises an eyebrow.

"No," Nicole sighs. "I remember it all."

"So how was it?" Wynonna asks after a moment of silence. "Good? Bad? Just as you remember it?"

"I don't...I'm not," Nicole shakes her head. "Hold on, you're not mad?"