Chapter Thirty-two

The weeks went by and with every day that passed the news in the Daily Prophet got worse.
Pure-blood families got attacked in their homes or were ambushed on the streets by followers of the revolutionary movement, and in return the Death Eaters and their supporters launched violent attacks on the asylums and on members of families who were suspected to support the revolution. The bloodshed on both sides increased on a daily basis.

Lance had cornered Cassiopeia several times, trying to persuade her to join the revolutionary forces, but so far Cassiopeia had been able to worm her way out every time with one excuse or the other.

She knew that what they were trying to achieve was right, but that didn't change that she would never be able to join them.
There was no way she would ever fight against Tom, no matter how wrong his cause was. She disagreed with his beliefs, and she hoped that the light would ultimately defeat the darkness, but she knew she could never fight a battle against the man she loved.

One day, after her last lesson, Lance held her back once again.

"Have you thought about our conversation from last week?" he asked intently.

Cassiopeia nodded and unconsciously touched the sleeve of her left arm, pulling it further down. "Yes, Lance, but I'm sorry. I can't." She smiled apologetically.

"But, Cass... I know you're a capable witch, and we really need every good witch and wizard we can get. The Death Eaters are strong and powerful. It will be hard to win." Lance pursed his lips. "I know you're a pure-blood, but I've seen how you've been supporting Ben. You don't believe he's worth less just because of his blood, do you?"

Cassiopeia snorted. "No, I surely don't believe in pure-blood supremacy. I never did."

"Then, don't you want to make things better for Ben and people like him?" Lance pressed.

Cassiopeia sighed. "I do, you have no idea. But still, I can't join you."

"But why?" Lance eyed her uncomprehendingly.

"That's complicated..." Cassiopeia's voice trailed away, and she shook her head. "I'm really sorry, Lance."

Lance pressed his lips together, disappointment visible on his features. He nodded. "Maybe you'll change your mind. You know where to find me."

Cassiopeia watched him walking away, a tight knot in her stomach. Why did life have to be that way? Why did it have to be so difficult?

********

It was almost midnight when Tom appeared silently outside the gates of Houlton Manor. He quickly strode towards the house, carefully avoiding the path that was leading to the entrance. He had taken to secretly checking on the Manor every night ever since the fighting had started a few weeks ago, intending to make sure Cassiopeia remained safe.

Standing in the shadows of the trees he observed the manor for a while. The living room was lighted, and he could see Cassiopeia moving behind the curtains.

Suddenly he heard a branch break in the vicinity. Instantly Tom's eyes narrowed, and he squinted into the darkness, his hand reaching for his wand. He couldn't see anyone but he sensed that he wasn't alone anymore. Instinctively his hand tightened around his wand. Noiselessly he backed away from where he had been standing and moved closer to where the noise had come from. He carefully approached the path that led to the house, his wand drawn. When he reached the tree closest to the path he could finally make out a hooded figure that was hiding only a few feet away, the back turned to him, obviously observing the mansion and spying on Cassiopeia.

Tom felt a wave of fury surge through him. With a quick movement he brandished his wand at the figure and stunned the unknown intruder with a body binding curse, making whoever it was fall to the ground with a low thud.