Chapter Twenty-two

Author's note: So here we go....Let me know what you think!! I love your support! And as always....thanks so much for reading!

*****

Tom had been at his lair when he had suddenly felt that something was out of place. When he had branded Cassiopeia with his mark back in Albania all those years ago, that evening after he had killed Floris, he had combined the incantation with an enchantment that was supposed to alert him whenever she was in danger.

He could tell that the enchantment had been activated. Concentrating on the burning sensation inside of him, he tried to determine where she was. When he had a vague idea, he focused on her whereabouts and disapparated.

When he reappeared, he found himself on the lower floors of the Ministry. A frown crossed his features. Why should Cassiopeia be at the Ministry at all, and why here in particular? He shortly wondered if something was wrong with his enchantment but quickly dismissed the thought. There was no reason why the enchantment shouldn't be working correctly. He slowly strode along the corridor, intending to find out why Cassiopeia was supposed to be around. When he rounded the first corner, Rosier nearly ran into him.

Surprise was painted all over Rosier's face as he stammered, "My lord? What are you doing here?"

Tom's face remained the usual blank mask, although inside he was honestly wondering just the same. "I thought I had a look," he stated vaguely, hoping Rosier would give him a clue as to why he might be there.

"We only brought them here recently, those five teachers from the Mudblood school. Lestrange just started interrogating the first," Rosier reported.

"Where are they?" Tom tried to remember what had been up with those teachers and threw him an inquisitive look.

Rosier turned around and lead the way to one of the cells. Tom glanced through the barred hole in the door. There were three men inside and one woman who was lying on the floor, weeping disgustingly. Tom turned back to Rosier. "Who's with Lestrange?"

"A halfblood. O'Leary is her name."

"Downstairs?"

Rosier nodded and turned around to walk along the corridor and down the stairs that led to the lower floor, Tom following him. At the end of the corridor Rosier halted, throwing a confused glance at the two guards who were waiting in front of the door.

"Why aren't you in there?" he asked.

"Lestrange sent us outside," one of the guards answered deferentially, his eyes trained on the floor.

"Why would he do that?" Rosier's voice was disbelieving.

"The witch teased him saying he didn't dare to be alone with her and then he told us to get out," the second muttered.

Tom's patience ran out at last and he brandished his wand at the door. The heavy door burst open and the four men stared at Lestrange who whirled around just before the curse he had been channelling could hit its target, revealing the view of the witch standing at the opposite wall, her arm stretched out in front of her. For the fraction of a second they caught sight of the shield she had been trying to conjure before it died away.

Rosier was the first to react. He slashed his wand at Cassiopeia, binding her hands on her back again, and hissed at Lestrange, "What on earth have you been doing?"

Lestrange eyed them, surprise still visible on his features. "I....," he began but he was instantly cut short by Tom.

"Out. All of you," he spat. "I will deal with this now." Throwing a pointed glance at Lestrange, he added, "And I shall deal with you later."