Chapter Thirty-four

The next morning Cassiopeia went to work nonetheless.

While she was teaching the first years, she felt sick yet again and went to the window, intending to get some fresh air.

She was just looking outside when, suddenly, she saw them.

There were many of them, too many.

She swallowed hard. Instantly, things clicked into place. Tom's strange behaviour the previous night. His determination to ensure she was going to stay at home.

The Death Eaters were going to attack the school.

Without thinking, Cassiopeia pulled her wand and turned to her class. "Run, all of you! Try to get away from here or find a place to hide! They are going to attack! Go!"

The students looked back at her, momentarily taken aback before her words finally sank in. Then they jumped up from their seats, and Cassiopeia followed them out of the classroom.

Her mind was racing. She had to warn the others. She went to the nearest classroom. It was Lance's.

When she opened the door and stepped inside, she was surprised to find it nearly empty. Only Lance and Ben were standing close to the desk. Cassiopeia threw them a confused glance. But before she could say anything, the door snapped shut behind her and she whirled around.

Felix was leaning with his back against the door, his wand in his hand.

"What's this about?" Cassiopeia hissed. "I came to warn you..."

"So it's true, isn't it?" Felix cut her short, his voice cold. "You and Lord Voldemort..."

"At first we couldn't believe it when they asked us to detain you, telling us you were of immense value in the battle against the Death Eaters. But the more they told us, the more everything started to make sense. Your constant refusal to help us..." Lance glared at her, his voice full of contempt.

Cassiopeia's eyes grew wide, realization dawning on her. She heard Felix move behind her and her gaze darted back to him just in time to see him taking two quick steps towards her, grabbing her left sleeve and intending to pull it up.

"Don't touch me," Cassiopeia snarled, her reflexes finally kicking in. She hadn't been spending so many years next to one of the best wizards alive without learning anything, after all. The next moment she had brandished her wand at Felix, sending him crashing into the wall behind him where he slumped to the floor, unconscious.

Lance drew his wand, intending to curse her, and Cassiopeia flicked her wand at him as well but Ben beat her to it. With a swift movement he stunned Lance.

Cassiopeia's gaze darted to Ben's eyes, a look of surprise on her face. He was looking back at her.

"It wasn't me who told them, I swear."

Cassiopeia quickly collected herself. "I know." She flicked her wand at the door and locked it. "We have to leave, somehow. The Death Eaters are about to attack, and I guess now I know why. Come on." She went to the window and opened it, looking outside.

Ben eyed her uncomprehendingly. "Can't you just disapparate?"

Cassiopeia shook her head. "If Lance and Felix were involved in this, I can't trust anyone here anymore. They surely planned ahead and put protection on the building, preventing me from simply disapparating. If I still tried it, I might end up trapped. So we'll have to leave the uncomfortable way."

She grabbed Ben's arm and pulled him over to the window. "You have to come with me, it's not safe for you here either."

Ben nodded.