Chapter Twenty-eight

Cassiopeia was kneeling next to Ben's bed, her eyes trained on the boy, the faintest trace of a smile on her face as she sensed Tom's magic radiating from him, for once not bound to destroy.

She felt her magic reaching out to his, joining it and supporting it. For the first time ever she realized just how strong and powerful their combined magic was. She glanced at Tom. He had his eyes closed, a smile gracing his lips. He looked more content than she had ever seen him before. Instinctively, she could tell that he was feeling the unusual power of their magic just the same.

She turned back to Ben. He was already looking a lot healthier although he was clearly still weakened and worn out by the curses' aftermath.

Finally Tom lowered his wand and opened his eyes. Cassiopeia threw him a questioning glance, and he nodded almost unnoticeably. She exhaled slowly and eyed Ben for another moment before she summoned a vial of Sleeping Draught from her room and uncorked it.

"Drink this, Ben. It will help you sleep. Tomorrow you'll be feeling much better."

Ben nodded wordlessly and took the vial from her hand, casting a wary glance at Tom. Then he gulped down the potion and lay back on the pillow. The next moment he had already fallen asleep.

Cassiopeia slowly left Ben's side and walked to the foot of the bed where Tom was still standing, rooted to the spot, his eyes fixed on the boy. When she was next to him, she whispered, a smile on her face, "I knew you had it in you."

Tom looked wordlessly back at her. For a moment they just stood there, silently looking into each other's eyes. Then Tom said hoarsely, his voice low, "I've missed being with you. I've missed the way you can make me feel."

Cassiopeia held his gaze, trying to control the amazing warmth his words sent rushing through her. "I've missed making you feel," she replied quietly.

Tom's eyes were sparkling, and she sensed what he wanted, but he restrained himself remarkably well. Yet, she could see the unspoken question burning in his eyes, and knew he was only waiting for her permission. Her lips twitched just the slightest bit and she gave him a small nod.

The next moment Tom bent down to her, kissing her like he had never kissed her before.

He was breathing hard, when he pulled away. His eyes locked with hers. "I doubt you know what you do to me." His voice was rough. "But don't ever stop doing it. Make me feel." He paused, running his fingers through her hair. "Make me feel your heartbeat, your endless emotion. Make me feel anything." There was a desperate longing gleaming in his dark eyes.

Cassiopeia looked back at him and slowly slipped her hands under his shirt, her gaze never leaving his. When she touched his skin, he felt every inch of his body burning. How could he ever have believed that feelings were weakness? How could he have believed there were no use for emotions?

The way her magic had been uniting with his while he had been casting those countercurses on the boy had once again disclosed to him how much power her emotions actually held.

He had been a fool to try to suppress this part of him, this part that was longing to feel the way she did, longing to care the way she did.

Clearly, his magic was basically more powerful than hers but when it came to the peaks he knew that hers outdid his.
When she cared, she was able to produce a power that effortlessly overshadowed his.
When she cared, she could summon up a kind of strength that he longed to possess.

And when he was with her, when he was close enough, it was the only time ever that he was able to feel that there was more inside of him than only hatred. She had the ability to stir this feeble bit of emotion that was buried so deep inside of him, this part of him that he had wasted so much useless effort on trying to get rid of.