Chapter Twenty-nine

Tom returned to his lair and went to his study. He had barely taken a seat when he sensed the Dark Mark of Nott being activated. A frown crossed his features. From the way it was burning he could tell that Nott hadn't activated it voluntarily. He suppressed a sigh. It was early morning. What the hell had this fool gotten himself into at this time of day?

Tom got up again and focused on Nott's whereabouts. Obviously he was on some kind of clearing. Tom concentrated and apparated, reappearing in the vicinity of Nott.

He immediately found himself faced with a fight that didn't look like Nott was having the upper hand. Nott was lying on the ground, desperately trying to fight off half a dozen opponents, one of them kneeling above him, pressing his left arm to the ground, the sleeve rolled up, the Dark Mark's black outline standing out against Nott's otherwise pale skin. Taking in the scene with a quick look, Tom scowled.

The wizard who was clamping Nott's arm to the ground was gazing around frantically, obviously trying to determine if Lord Voldemort was going to answer the mark's summoning.

Tom clenched his teeth. If they had intended for this to be a trap he would teach them that it took more than the capture of one of his Death Eaters and the activation of his mark to ambush him.

He drew his wand and silently approached the group of wizards from behind. When he was close enough, he brandished his wand at them, and a wave of fiery snakes left his wand and swept towards his opponents, attacking them. The wizards whirled around, momentarily distracted by the unforeseen assault.

Nott was able to take advantage of the sudden confusion and blasted away the man who was kneeling above him. He scrambled to his feet. The other men were conjuring shields, trying to save themselves from Tom's attack, but the fiery snakes simply cut through their shields as if they were made of paper. Tom flicked his wand at one of the men, hitting him with the Killing Curse.

Seeing the blinding green light, Nott brandished his wand as well, taking down another of the men who was busy attempting to fight off the snakes that were winding around his limbs.

Meanwhile Tom had slashed his wand at two further attackers, while simultaneously deflecting the curses they were throwing at him with a wave of his hand. The men fell lifelessly to the ground. Tom cast a glance at Nott who had managed to successfully cast the Killing Curse on another one.

Finally, only the wizard who had been kneeling above Nott was left. Nott narrowed his eyes at the man and was about to throw the Killing Curse at him, when Tom shot him a warning glare. Nott lowered his wand, and instead Tom flicked his wand at the man.

"Crucio." Tom's voice was nothing more than a hiss.

The man fell to the ground, his body twitching in pain. Tom kept his wand aimed firmly at his victim, while turning his glare at Nott. Over the screams of the man he snarled, "What's this about, Nott? How did you end up in this mess? Didn't I teach you anything? I mean, letting your enemies get access to your mark. How poor is that?"

Nott flinched. "I'm sorry, my lord."

Tom laughed humourlessly, and it sounded cold and cruel. "You're sorry? Yes, I bet you are. You'll be even more sorry when I'm done with this scum because you are next."

Nott swallowed hard. "I didn't mean to endanger you, my lord."

"Oh, don't worry, you didn't endanger me. I knew right away that you didn't activate your mark voluntarily. It wasn't that hard to guess you weren't alone and probably in trouble. But you endangered our cause, and, moreover, you endangered our secrecy. What would you have done if they had tortured you for information instead of brainlessly trying to ambush me? Lucky for you, they were too stupid to take advantage of your situation." Tom paused, before continuing, carefully stressing every word, "So how did this happen?"