Chapter Thirty-eight

Author's note: I know it's been a long time since the last update and I'm really sorry for the long wait. There are only a few chapters left till the end, and I hope to be able to update regularly again. Thanks for reading :)

Grace was sitting on the window sill of her room, her legs drawn up, her arms wrapped around them, her chin resting on her knees. She was looking out of the window, her eyes fixed on the two figures that were standing a little away, obviously engaged in an argument.

Grace squinted across the distance, trying to make out what they were saying but as they had turned their sides towards her she couldn't guess any words.

She bit her lip. Surely it was about the letter that had arrived from Hogwarts the day before. When her mother had seen the envelope she had turned paler than usual. And when her father had shown up later that day she had wordlessly shoved the letter over to him, eying him with this uncomfortably stern look Grace had seen on her mother's face a lot lately.

A frown spread across the girl's features. She really didn't understand what bothered her mother about that letter. From all she had ever told her she had loved going to school, and obviously she had loved going to Hogwarts. But then why didn't she like the thought of sending her there?

Grace threw another glance at Tom and Cassiopeia who were still standing in the front yard. Then she made up her mind and hopped off the window sill.

She tiptoed down the stairs and left the house through the back door, sneaking into the garden and rounding the house while carefully paying attention that she approached Tom and Cassiopeia as noiselessly as she could. When she was finally within earshot she hid behind a bush and tried to listen in to the conversation.

"But Hogwarts is a great place. I'd say it's the best place I've ever been to. I really don't see why I should deprive her of the privilege of being educated there." Tom's voice was devoid of any emotion and yet Grace could tell that he was annoyed.

Cassiopeia narrowed her eyes. There was a hint of bitterness in her voice when she replied, "Surely Hogwarts used to be great. But that was before you let your cronies infiltrate the school with their blind hatred and brainless beliefs. Hogwarts as it is now is only set up to brainwash people and subject them to your power and your followers' beliefs. I don't like that, and you know that. And I certainly don't want Grace to be taught any of those supremacy idiocies." She paused. Then, suddenly, a smirk crossed her features, and she cocked her head. "But that doesn't mean there's no solution. If you really want Grace to study at Hogwarts, you just have to end this madness."

"What?" Tom's voice was slightly higher-pitched than usual, and there was a hint of incredulity on his otherwise blank features.

Cassiopeia held his gaze. "End this stupid pureblood supremacy nonsense. End the violent persecution and unjustified oppression of Muggleborns. End all those attacks and this indiscriminate killing of those who oppose you."

Tom quirked an eyebrow. The corners of his mouth twitched slightly when he answered, his voice mocking now, "You're certainly aware that I can't. That's the core of my power."

Cassiopeia looked back at him, a faint trace of pity in her eyes. Then she shrugged. "Surely that's sad enough. But you've had your go at this domination you've always craved so badly. You've had your share of power. You've had it your way. Was it worth all the sacrifices? I don't know what happened in that original timeline of yours but obviously it didn't go too well or otherwise I don't think you would have taken the trouble to come back to change things. Maybe it's time to make a change now. Maybe it's time to rethink your priorities. You're perfectly aware that I never believed in this pureblood supremacy nonsense, and as far as you are concerned, if you're honest with yourself, I'm sure you never believed in it either. After all, you yourself are the perfect example that it doesn't take pure blood to excel in magic. There are other ways to be great, different ones, better ones."

Much to Cassiopeia's surprise Tom wordlessly stared back at her. She suppressed a frown. Actually, she had expected him to laugh at her, laugh at her ridiculous suggestion of simply ending the enforcement of his realm's fundamental beliefs.

Instead Cassiopeia could tell that for the first time ever he was actually taking her words into account. For the first time ever he seemed to be truly thinking about making a change. With a start she realized that for the first time ever there was a chance that she had finally gotten through to him. Cassiopeia continued to look at him, trying to read his face, trying to guess his thoughts, but as usual his features didn't give away anything.

Suddenly there was a rustling noise in the vicinity. Without breaking his eye contact with Cassiopeia Tom raised his eyebrow again and said, his voice even, "That's not appropriate, trying to listen in to other people's conversations, Grace. Why do you think we went outside to have this little chat?"

Cassiopeia tore her gaze away from Tom's eyes and looked over his shoulder, just in time to watch Grace emerge from behind a bush a little away from them. The girl's pale face was slightly blushed. She slowly approached them.

Grace eyed Tom and Cassiopeia carefully and a smirk crossed her face. "Well, because you didn't want me to overhear you, I assume." Her voice was cheeky. "You should have tried harder then, though." She smirked at Tom and cocked her head. "Am I going to go to Hogwarts?"

Tom wordlessly looked back at her. He felt Cassiopeia's gaze on him and drew in a deep breath. There was no way he could answer that question now. He had to think this through. He needed time. He exhaled sharply and without any further explanation he abruptly turned on the spot and was gone.

Grace's eyes widenend and she looked at Cassiopeia. "What....why did he leave?"

Cassiopeia glanced at Grace and the ghost of a smile flashed across her face. "Well, that's his way of facing problems he cannot solve with a curse." She shrugged. "But at least that means he couldn't answer your question right away. So that's probably about the best reaction you could get."

Momentarily, Cassiopeia had the impression that Grace was about to retort something, but then the girl closed her mouth again and followed her mother back into the cottage.