Chapter Twenty-seven

Cassiopeia leaned forward, propping up her elbows on the desk and burying her face in her hands. This couldn't be. There had to be a way to help Ben.

Suddenly she remembered Tom's last words before casting the Memory Charm. 'I'm really curious to see who's going to be capable of helping you.'

She sat up straight, a frown on her face. Why would he say that? He knew that Floris hadn't provided them with any countercurses. There was no sense in saying this, unless... maybe there was a way to cure the curses? Maybe Tom had found a way?

Then maybe she could find it as well. After all, his magical power might be stronger and more forceful than hers but she still had the theoretical knowledge. She sighed. If only she had a little more time. Floris' curses were going to grow stronger and stronger by the minute and it wouldn't take long until they were finally going to destroy Ben.

Cassiopeia grabbed her wand and apparated back to St.Mungo's. She went up to Ben's room, carefully paying attention that she wasn't seen by anyone. Ben was still lying in bed the way she had left him. She pursed her lips. The curses were clearly already starting to show their effects, and she knew that she had not enough time left to waste it trying out curses. There was only one way to help Ben. She had to go for broke.

She waved her wand at him and he woke up.

When his eyes fell on her, a weak smile appeared on his pale sweaty face. "Professor. You came back."

"Of course I did. I promised I'd do."

Ben's eyes were bloodshot, and he was breathing even harder than before. Cassiopeia knew he was running out of time.

"We have to get you away from here, without anyone noticing. Please don't ask why, just trust me, will you?"

Ben nodded wordlessly.

Cassiopeia helped Ben out of the bed and cast a disillusionment charm on both of them. Then she dragged Ben out of the room, down the stairs and out of the hospital. When they were finally outside, she turned to him and whispered, "I have to apparate us away from here. Have you ever apparated before?"

Ben shook his head. "We're not allowed to apparate."

Cassiopeia grimaced. "Oh, right, another one of those rules. Well, never mind, just hold onto me and make sure you don't let go, no matter what, ok?"

She grabbed Ben tightly and felt him holding onto her the best he could. Then she turned on the spot and apparated to Houlton Manor. She took Ben into her late father's room, helping him lay down in bed and drawing the curtains shut.

"Now I need just one moment. I'll be right back," she said quietly.

Ben nodded again. "Will I be alright again, professor?" His voice was trembling.

Cassiopeia eyed him for a moment before she replied, "I'll do all I can to make the best wizard I know look after you. If there's anyone who can cure you, it's him."

Ben looked at her. "Thank you, professor."

Cassiopeia left the room, pulling her wand from her pocket. In the hallway she shoved her sleeve up and pressed the tip of the wand against the mark, activating it. She didn't remove her wand, keeping it pressed against the brand, even when the mark was already completely jet black, knowing that the burning sensation Tom was feeling would be much stronger that way, much more urgent.

She only removed her wand when Tom was finally standing a few feet away from her, his eyebrows raised, a derisive smirk on his lips.

"I hadn't imagined you'd be craving my presence so soon again, and so urgently at that," he grinned.