Chapter Thirty-three

Tom was sitting at the long table in the living room of Malfoy Manor, surrounded by his inner circle of Death Eaters. His gaze swept over the group. Most of the men were looking down at the table in front of them. Only Lestrange, Malfoy and Rosier had their faces turned towards him, but they too weren't meeting his gaze. They were all waiting for him to disclose the meeting's purpose.

Tom had summoned them as soon as he had left Houlton Manor. He felt his temper flare dangerously, thinking about the encounter outside Houlton Manor mere hours ago. His magic was swirling aggressively around him.

"What do you know about the asylum in Newcastle?" Tom finally asked.

Avery looked up. "Malachi Buchanan is in charge of the asylum in Newcastle, my lord. As far as I heard it's a rather small and unspectacular one."

Tom looked back at Avery. "Are there any hints that there are members of the revolution among the staff of the asylum?"

Avery looked surprised. "I was always under the impression that Buchanan supported our cause unconditionally. Do you have any reason to assume differently, my lord?"

"I have reliable information that they are supporting our enemies. I don't know who's behind it. But I intend to find out." He glanced at his followers once again, his gaze swiftly moving from one face to the next. After a moment he said, "Avery, Lestrange, Rosier. I want you to turn the asylum upside down for any informaton about anything they've been involved in. Get all the information you can and then just dispose of everyone."

The three men nodded dutifully and Lestrange immediately said, "Consider it done, my lord."

Tom turned to look at the others. They were obviously waiting for him to give further orders, eager to not rouse his already short temper, their gazes fixed on the table in front of them. Tom suppressed a smirk. The power of unlimited fear didn't fail to fascinate him time and time again.

"That's all for now. You can leave," he commanded curtly and got up. The others quickly followed suit and silently filed out of the room. Rosier and Lestrange were the last to leave. Before they reached the door Tom raised his voice again. "Rosier, Lestrange."

The two men instantly stopped and turned back to Tom, their eyes turned to the floor. "My lord?"

"Signal me as soon as you find anything of importance." Tom's voice was sharp.

"Of course, my lord," Rosier replied and Lestrange nodded.

Tom stared at them for another moment before dismissing them with a wave of his hand.

He waited until he was alone in the living room. Then he turned on the spot and apparated back to Houlton Manor.

By now it was early morning. It didn't take him long to realize that the house was empty. Tom clenched his jaw. He had left a note, telling Cassiopeia to stay inside. Although it didn't surprise him that she had disobeyed once again, he was irritated.

He left the house and rounded it until he found Cassiopeia in the back yard, working in the garden. When he approached her, she turned around and looked up.

Tom glowered at her. "You were supposed to stay inside."

Cassiopeia looked back at Tom, unfazed by his anger. His irritation was clearly showing on his face, marring his features in an ugly way. She knew he hated when things didn't go the way he wanted them to, and it was obvious that this time was no exception.

Pursing her lips, she stated, "There are wards all around the place, and thanks to my paranoid ancestors even all over the garden. I don't think anyone could sneak onto the property anymore without being noticed." Her lip curled slightly when she added, "That is aside from you, obviously."