Meeting the Greene Family

It has been quiet for a while from the events that had happened. I looked out the window, sticking my arm out moving it like a dolphin through the wind. Just to pass the time.

I heard screams in the distance. Maybe there's a carnival nearby? I'd like to go there, but I know dad just wants to continue driving.

A small family has been walking on the side of the road. They look lost.

"Kenny, we should help them." Mom said.

"Haven't you heard the screams? We have to get back home, and it ain't exactly close," he replied.

"At least give them directions."

"I'm not familiar with this area! They probably live around here anyway." He continued driving, passing the family.

I looked back at the family. I'm confused on why they're walking together like that. Holding onto each other like they are cold and getting close for body heat. Why couldn't we help them?

I turned back to look out the window some more. I now see people lying on the ground, not moving. What are they doing?

"Oh my God, Duck don't look!" Mom said frantically.

But I kept on looking.

"Duck, listen to your mother. Don't look." Dad said sternly.

I finally did as I was told. Now just fiddling with my fingers looking down.

I hear so many things, but I tried to ignore it. It's so hard not to listen.

I can hear that we have been passing more people, them shouting that they need a ride. There were others that I heard that seemed to be cries for help. Sometimes I hear a moaning, grunting noise.

What is going on? I want to look so bad, but my parents told me not to.

Suddenly the truck seemed to go to a stop.

"Shit..." My father muttered. He got out of the vehicle, picking up the hood of the truck.

I looked around, the sun just about going down. Wait, are we in the country area? There were fields that seemed to go for miles.

Another pickup truck came over and stopped by us. A young man came out.

"Hey, you seem to be in need of help," he said.

"Yeah, it seems so." Dad replied back.

"You might need a place to spend the night, right?"

"Yes, is there a motel somewhere?"

"There is, but it's quite far. I live at a farm nearby, I'm sure my dad can let you spend the night."

"Jeez, that'd be great." He shuts the hood and went to the back of the truck. "Can you help by pushing this then?"

"Oh, that won't be necessary." The man went to his truck and took out something that I think is used to tow vehicles.

"Do you always carry that around?" My father asked.

"Not all the time, I just saw in the distance that you need my help. So, here I am." He goes to the back, hooking it up.

"What?! Have you been spying on us?"

"No, I've been doing my work. I'd just happen to see you," he stood up done.

"I'm Shawn, Shawn Greene." He put his hand out, waiting for a handshake.

"Name's Kenny. That's my wife, Katjaa and my son Ken Jr. but you can call him Duck." Dad took Shawn's hand and gave it a good shake.

"Alright, you can hop on into my truck if you'd want." Shawn said, turning back getting into the red pickup.