The Train

When Lee couldn't see Lilly anymore, he turned to Clementine and sat next to her. His arm wrapped around her shoulder, trying to give her comfort.

After a couple of minutes down the road, I start to remember something. Mom stayed silent in the passenger seat, making me a bit worried. I got out of the back seat and headed towards the front.

I stood next to her, "Mom, are you okay?"

She glanced at me, "Yes, sweetie. Now go sit down."

I looked at her head, seeing a cut with blood leaking out. Her breathing is a bit uneven and she's sweating like she just ran a marathon.

"...are you sure?"

"Y-Yes..."

I see her holding onto her side, where there is also blood seeping through her clothes.

"How did you get that?" I pointed at it.

"Get what?" Dad looked our way.

"I-It's nothing... really, it's nothing."

"Kat... don't lie to me. What did you get?"

With a defeated sigh, she lifted up her clothes to show... a bite mark.

"Is... Is that-" I tried to say.

"It is, Duck. I'm so sorry," mom said softly, trying to hold back tears.

"Oh my God..." Dad muttered, his face fallen depressed. He stared blankly in front of him, then shook his head. "Get some rest hon, I'm sure you need it."

"Thank you, i-it's hard to stay awake..." With that, she tried to get into a comfortable position and closed her eyes to sleep.

We were both silent for a moment, until dad called for Lee to come over here.

Lee approached the front of the RV, "What's up?"

"It's bad..." I told him.

He looked at me, "What's bad?"

I looked at dad, his face is dull. He faced me and gave a small nod.

With sorrow on my face, I went closer to mom and lifted up her clothing to show the bite to Lee.

"What the fuck..." he murmured in disbelief.

"Happened during the raid," dad explained.

"What's the plan? We've never had a bite victim in the group before."

"We keep the same plan unless something changes... East," he said almost firmly.

"Kenny..."

"I thought I'd let you know..." Dad turned to face Lee with sadness in his eyes, "Important to stay honest with each other."

With nothing else to say, Lee turned back to Clementine.

I looked at mom, dry blood covered half of her face from the wound.

"Dad, what about her head?"

"There should be some wipes and bandages in the compartment. Would you patch her up for me, Duck?"

I nodded and looked inside the compartment to take them out. I don't know what to do after that. I never had to heal a wound, mom does that...

"I don't know how to do this..." I reminded him.

"Just... do the best you can. Your mom will be proud for trying."

I grabbed some wipes and started cleaning up the blood on her face. The cut is bleeding slower, but not stopping. I then grabbed some peroxide and carefully poured some on the wound, which made her wince and moan in her sleep. After that, I took the biggest bandage I could find and placed it over the cut.