Jeremy, My Buddy

Michael's POV

I looked at myself in the mirror again. My hair was a mess, and I couldn't find a comb for the life of me. So, I chose the next best option - run my hands through my hair. It was something I did when I was nervous, which was probably why I couldn't stop running my fingers through my hair. Jesus, Michael!

I shook my head and threw on my hoodie. I sighed, wondering why I ever even take it off. It reminds me of all things comfortable. Memories flooded back—Jeremy hugging me after I skinned my knee in second grade, Jeremy holding my hand as he pulled me to meet his mom (Mommy I made a friend!!!! He had yelled.) Meeting Jeremy in the hallway everyday after class, waking up snuggled up against him, kissing him for eternity....

WAIT WHAT. My face turned red. I hate to admit it, but I was head over heels for my best friend of...forever, Jeremy Heere. It was a major problem. First of all, he was straight. Second of all, he was taken. Third of all, HE WAS MY BEST FRIEND! I mean, what does it take to turn me off?

I glanced at the bathroom counter, a particularly rainbow patch catching my eye. I don't know if I'll ever be able to put it on my sweatshirt. What will people say? I picked it up, turned it over in my hands, and then set it back down again. I checked the time on my phone. Time to go.

I grabbed my backpack and my pillow before I could stop myself and ran to my P.T Cruiser. I drove to Jeremy's house. I could've closed my eyes to get here, the route was so familiar.

I knocked on his door. My fist tapped out the familiar rhythm from Super Mario Bros. (Doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo...doo. Very explanatory I know) We came up with the secret knock in first grade, when I knocked on his door for the first time. He had also been expecting the pizza delivery guy, so he called my house phone and told me to do a special knock because he didn't want to talk to anyone else but me. We've kept it ever since.

Jeremy's POV

"Michael!" I exclaimed, beaming.

"Jeremy!" He grinned back.

I wrapped my arms around him, happiness flooding my body. Being with Michael was like having a twin. We're practically brothers, and we think the same things at the time. I let go of Michael and beckoned for him to come in. He skipped into my house like he was five. I giggled, wondering who I even was without Michael by my side.

He stopped at the top of the basement stairs, waiting for me. I reached the starting line.

"On your marks, get set, gooooooo!" We said in unison.

We ran, racing the same way we did when we were little. I plummeted down, and then launched my self into the couch. I collapsed and relaxed for a second, and then "CANNONBALL!!!!" Michael was on top of me.

We laughed and I grabbed the pillow behind me and chucked it at his face. He giggled and took the pillow behind him and whacked me in the head. We fought like this for about a minute, and then we relaxed on the couch, the occasional chuckle escaping our lips.

"Come here," I said.

"W-what?" Michael asked.

"Dude, just come here."

Michael scooted over to me, and rested his head on my chest. I put my arms around him, and we stayed there, neither of us wanting to move.

Michael's POV

I wondered if other friends did this. You know, cuddled up next to each other and stayed there forever. I doubted it, but I didn't care. It was what Jeremy and I did, and that was all that mattered. Our snuggles were interrupted by a ding on Jeremy's phone.

He scooted up a bit, and pulled it out of his back pocket. He frowned, and his body tensed slightly.

"What is it?" I asked curiously.

"It's a text from Christine. She said she wants to talk. Tonight."

"Ask her what it's about."

"She just said she's coming over now."

"Oh my god, what do we do?!"

He grabbed my hand and we went upstairs.

Someone rapped on the door.

I gave a silent scream and Jeremy's eyes widened. He pointed to the bathroom. I nodded, run-walked over there and shut the door silently. I heard the front door swing open.

Jeremy's POV

"Hey, Christine," I said weakly.

"Hi, Jeremy. I'm so sorry to do this."

"W-what? Do what?"

"Jer, I'm in love with someone else"

No. No, no, no, no, no, nooooo! This can't be happening. The squip had ruined so much, and the good thing that came out of it was her.

"I'm so sorry, is there anything I can do?" She sounded so sincere, so concerned. But I wasn't having it.

"Y-you know, this guy you love better be REALLY cool and awesome and he better be the strongest most best man that had ever touched the face of the earth and he better be super hot and he-"

"-SHUT UP, JEREMY!" She yelled, catching me off guard.

"I-I like Jenna," she whispered.

I froze. My eyes widened.

"Hey, I'm gonna leave you alone, okay? I-I need to go anyway."

She closed the door, and left me standing there, taken aback. A tear slipped down my face. Then another. I was sobbing by now. How could I  have thought Christine would want me?

Michael's POV

I heard everything through the door, including Jeremy's increasingly loud cries. I opened the door and gingerly walked over to my best friend. I wrapped him in my arms, and he cried into my shoulder.

"I..just..d-don't..know..what...what I did wrong," Jeremy sobbed.

"Shhhhh...It's not your fault. Love is a...confusing thing. No one really knows how..why...what to do about it." I struggled to find the right words.

Jeremy giggled slightly.

"What?"

"It's just," he tittered, "that was the most poetic advice I have ever been given." I almost thanked him before I heard the playful sarcasm in his voice.

I chuckled. "Only the best for the best."

"I love you, Michael. Did you know that?"

I blushed. Hard. My palms were sweaty and my breathing was pressed.

"Hello? Mikey?"

"I love you too, Jer."

"I hope we never stop being friends."

Right. How could I have ever thought that he might've meant that...I put my selfish thoughts aside and hugged him tighter.

"We're never not gonna be a team," I promised.

A/N: Eek! Thank you so much for reading! As mentioned, it's my first fanfic so if you've made it this far, maybe I did something right. I'll try to update, but of course there's school and eight billion other things I have to do. Paleeese give me (constructive) criticism. DM me with requests, if you have any, and maybe I'll do it.

Word Count: 1187