You're One of Those Guys

Michael's POV

"Come on, there must be something you like. So many options!" Jeremy exclaims.

I survey the flavors for myself, contemplating whether I should choose rainbow sherbet or mint chocolate chip. I press my face up against the display glass, which is both ineffective and earns me a glare from the teenager behind the counter.

"Sorry," I murmur, just loud enough for the employee to hear me. She shrugs and rolls her eyes, continuing to wipe down the counter.

Jeremy's face tightens slightly as he looks over the choices, like this is the most important decision of his life. "I'm thinking vanilla," he says finally.

"Alright, vanilla it is," I declare to the girl who is still busying herself by cleaning.

She pauses in her work, speaking in a bored tone. "Cake cone or chocolate cone?"

"Cake cone is good," Jeremy replies.

"Is that all?"

With a boyish expression he says, "Sprinkles. I want sprinkles."

"Sprinkles indeed. Anything else?"

"I'll have some rainbow sherbet, please." I turn to my boyfriend and add quietly, "I'm feeling a bit more gay today."

He lets out a single chuckle, playful sarcasm shaping his words. "Oh, so not only does your sexual orientation define who you can love, it also decides what ice cream flavor you get. Michael, this is some fascinating stuff, I'm sure scientists around the world will find this revolutionary!"

"Shut up, you dork." I bump him with my shoulder.

The bell chimes at the door, announcing the arrival of a new customer. I quickly glance behind me, and to my surprise, it's Chloe.

"Hey, Chloe!" Jeremy says, curious and friendly as ever.

"Sup, Jer," she responds, barely phased and obviously preoccupied.

"Changing things up?" I ask, and she returns a blank expression. "You're usually at Pinkberry, right?"

"Yeah, um, I don't really want to talk about that right now? I came in here for ice cream, not an interrogation."

Jeremy and I share a glance, and clearly I'm the not the only one confused. What happened?

"Your ice cream is waiting for you, by the way," she remarks.

Jeremy and I turn around in unison. The girl is holding the cones over the glass, one in each hand. By the looks of it, she's been there a while. We quickly grab our respective ice creams.

"That's five dollars and fifty-eight cents."

"Right." I fish out two bills from my back pocket and place it next to the register, one hand still balancing the frozen treat. "Keep the change," I add, anxious to talk to Chloe.

"Thanks." She pauses, hands lingering on the counter. She takes a breath in, as if to speak. The girl stares at her hands for a second, deliberating, and then chooses to go for it. "You're. . .uh. You're kinda cute actually. I. . .Wanna hang out sometime?"

Gaydar. It's like kids. Either you have them or you don't. That's a terrible analogy, but you get my point. "That's awfully nice of you, but I'm actually seeing someone. Someone I love very much, for a matter of fact." I glance at Jeremy, who offers a small smile.

The employee's expression turns from mild disappointment to a look of blatant surprise. "Oh!" She exclaims, and I can see the touch of hurt leave her eyes. "I'm sorry," she laughs, "I didn't realize you two were together."