Avoiding Any Eye Contact at All

Jeremy's POV
I wonder what Michael's doing right now. I walk over to my bedside table and pull the charger out of it, opening up messages. I begin typing out a quick note:

"Wanna play AOTD?"

Before realizing that I had made him run off crying earlier today. I could call him, or I could wait until tomorrow. Remembering the look on his face as he ran off, I decide to let it be for now.

I cross over to my bookshelf, filled with old Minecraft guides and ancient club penguin books. (R.I.P. Club Penguin. You're forever in our hearts.) I grabbed a book from the highest shelf, smiling as I took it out. "Friendship is...from Michael to Jeremy 2011".

It was a gift he gave me for my Bar Mitzvah, and though all the money I got was great, this was definitely the best gift I received. It was a scrapbook filled with pictures, notes, and stickers, from when we first met in kindergarten to some of our 8th grade year.

I flip to the first page and I am overwhelmed with happiness. It's us with our arms around each other, and we might've been five or six. Michael had his red hoodie on, practically disappearing in it. I was wearing a Minnie Mouse t-shirt, because when I was little she was definitely my favorite character. We both looked so happy, not caring what anyone else thought.

I throw my self back onto my bed, face first. What have I done? Michael is the other half of me. One stupid kiss isn't worth ruining our friendship.

Forget leaving him alone, I need to make things right now.

I grab a backpack and fill it with some junk food (just in case he needs some coaxing), and then run out the door and fling myself into my car. Next stop, Michael's house.

Michael's POV
I've been locked out of my house for a while now. I checked all the doors, and every window I could reach. My parents are probably in a meeting, so it isn't worth bothering them.

And like an idiot, I had left my wallet in my room, so slushies were out of the question. I pull out my soon-to-be-dead cell phone, and almost call Jeremy before deciding otherwise. He had hurt me, and I didn't want to see him right now.

But I also don't want to be alone. I don't like being alone. Nothing good happens when you're alone.

I sat on the front step, picking up pebbles and pitching them into the street. I pick up a tiny rock, turning it over once in my hand. I lob it over, not bothering to look up. Instead of hearing the barely audible thud of the stone hitting asphalt, I hear a small ting; rock on metal.

I glance up, recognizing the car immediately. Jeremy sat in the front seat, looking concerned but mostly surprised. Upon seeing his face, I turn away. I consider running, but I really have no where to go.

Jeremy's POV
I pull into Michael's driveway, squinting at the figure sitting on the steps. Michael? What's he doing out here? I open the car door after unbuckling my seatbelt. He looks up at me, then turns away quickly.

"Micha?" I ask.

"Don't call me that!" He snaps.

"S-sorry...Why are you outside still?"

"I left my key inside." He responds, softer.

"What about the spare one?"

"You have it."

I start to disagree, and then I remember everything from "the incident" to not being able to find the key again to putting a stupid post-it note in its place. But I can't remember why I didn't just tell him I lost it. Well, it doesn't matter now.

"Right."

We stayed there, awkwardly silent.

"I can...you can stay at my house...for the night? If you...if you want to?"

Michael pauses, than says, "I don't really want to see you right now."

I consider leaving, but I made a promise to myself to make things right.

"We don't have to talk. Or even look at each other. I'll sleep in the basement, you can take my bed. We won't play video games. I'll lend you something to sleep in, and I'll drive you back tomorrow morning, when your parents are home."

It's his turn to consider. He glances up at me, and then stares at his feet. But he nods, so that's that.

The car ride back is strange. Quiet, awkward, and lonely.

Small time skip brought to you by: the little sparkles on the sides of George Salazar's glasses

Michael's POV
Even though Jeremy is one of the last people I want to see right now, at least I'm not locked outside alone in the dark.

We brush our teeth side-by-side in silence. I sneak a glance at Jeremy through the mirror. He looks preoccupied, his eyebrows furrowed ever so slightly. I finish up, and place my toothbrush in its usual spot.

Even though Jeremy offered me his bed, I figure I'll just sleep in the basement.

I grab a blanket from the floor and throw it onto the couch. Jeremy walks downstairs with a pair of plaid pajamas in his arms. I almost laugh. Jeremy is fully aware that I think he looks like a farmer when he wears them. A cute farmer, but still a farmer.

He offers them to me, wordlessly.

"Thanks."

"Sure," he says back, halfheartedly. "I can sleep down here you know."

"It's okay. You should sleep in your room."

He nods and turns around. He walks towards the stairs, hesitating slightly before the first step.

"Goodnight, Michael."

"Goodnight, Jeremy."

He runs up, and soon he's out of sight.

I pull out the couch into a bed, something I'd done countless times with Jeremy. It's strange doing it all by myself. I place the blanket across the mattress, and crawl under it.

I guess I should thank Jeremy. He had saved me from sitting alone in the dark. He had hurt me, but all friends fight. Tomorrow. I think. We can fix things tomorrow.

Not my favorite chapter. I would love to promise you that this book gets better but....Who knows? Let's hope it does. :)

Word Count: 1050