Stuck on a Level

A/N: Ha guess who finally updated a month later-

Jeremy's POV

My dad stares at me expectantly.

Michael kicks my shin gently under the table, as if trying to provoke me into saying something.

"Um. Hi, Dad."

Michael reaches across the table to take my hand. Even though he just wants to help, I pull away. My dad is right here and what if...There are so many ways he could react, and I'm not sure I'm ready for any of them. And there's a chance he didn't see us kiss, right?

"Hello, Michael."

The boy's face flushes, but he manages a greeting.

"Hi, Mr. Heere."

"Nice eyeliner."

Even if the words sounded like they could form a compliment, there is an underlying scoff in my father's voice. The hurt shines through in Michael's eyes, but he refocuses and thanks my father anyway.

It's awful.

"So," my dad begins, "What are you two boys doing on this fine evening?"

When Michael doesn't respond right away, I start to speak.

"We're just...uh...hanging out, Dad."

"That's what you're doing?" His eyes wander over to Michael's fingers, which have somehow become intertwined with mine.

My hand releases from his comforting grasp and finds its way under the table. Good. Now he won't be able to see how much they're shaking.

The table is quiet once again.

"Jeremy," the man standing next to me commands, "Come with me. Let's talk."

"No."

The defiance I muster surprises me a little.

"Jeremy."

His voice is stronger now.

"Dad, if you have to say something, just say it now."

We both glance over at Michael, who is looking at his lap.

My dad looks hesitant, and for a second, I see pain flash in his eyes. But then he speaks, and if he had any remorse, it's gone now.

"I don't ever want to see you do what I just saw with a boy again. Is that clear?"

I look at Michael, who's eyes meet mine, his face crowded with concern and hurt.

He takes a breath as if to speak, but is cut off by an impatient grunt of my father.

"Jeremy," my dad starts, his voice rigid and irate, "Why don't I take you home?"

It's not a question.

I look from the boy whom I trust with all my heart, to the man who raised me with all he had.

Michael's POV

I've been bullied and tossed around all my life. Whether it was the whole gay thing, the geek thing, the loser thing, or whatever, it always hurts.

But this...this is something else.

This is Jeremy's father.

A father is someone who is supposed to love and support, to help.

Mr. Heere is like a dad to me. He was there when my parents couldn't be. When I was little he'd sometimes tuck me in, or sing me songs. He was like the dad I never had, or needed, at least in the beginning. But we've grown close over the years.