Tips and Acknowledgements!

Hey there, loves! Josie here. :)

I'll start off by saying that it's very unlikely that I'll be writing another fanfic. Maybe I'll put some other stuff out in the future but this is it.

Now, that I've said that, I want to best enable you guys to write your own stuff! I've seen your creative ideas in the comments, and why not make that come to life? Anyway, here's some things that I've learned to help you as you go along. <3

1. The extra time it takes for good grammar is worth it.

Half the time I swear this book is only good because there's commas in it. If you need to plug your work into Grammarly, do it! You can also use your friends as editors or have your device speak your writing out loud.

2. Engage with your audience.

I'm a lot less active then I was before, but when I was, I tried to respond to my readers as much as I could. I remember how special I felt when authors replied and I wanted to give that to the people that donated their time to read my book too. It's a great way to make friends as well!

3. Foster comments!

Readers like to see references to their favorite shows, so use them in your work! This can spark lyric chains, which is always fun. Give your readers something to talk about and omg it's so fun to see them become friends because of your book.

4. Avoid certain clichés.

I've been around here for a long time, and I've read a lot of Boyf Riends fics that have a lot of similar plot points. This one definitely included! I cringe seeing some of the choices I've made, but hey, here's to author development. A couple overused plotlines: Michael is helplessly in love with Jeremy, Jeremy has no idea that he likes boys yet, Christine is evil, and everyone ends up as happy friends in the end. Feel free to add your own in the comments! There's nothing wrong with using a few of these (I'm so guilty of this), but it's important to change the narrative every once in a while.

5. It takes so much time.

Your book will grow, and it might take forever. This book has been up for about two and a half years, to date. That felt like forever! But keep pushing through. Suddenly 100 reads will become 1000 and then 50k, and who knows?

6. Reach out!

Ask for help if you need it! Everyone is always happy to lend a helping hand. My DMs are always open if you want to talk about writing or are stuck on something.

7. There's so much I don't know. Use this space to write some of your tips!

Acknowledgements

dreamychara  My girl! My first reader, my first commenter. No one has shaped this book and made me more confident in my writing than you. Ilysm!

My OG Discord Gang: Bowlergirl603, Kaetbab, galaxy_girl_2005, Menallleee, ItsLuna2, snowtheegg, and cherry-treess. You guys are my favorites! An amazing support group and even better friends. You guys were there for me when I needed it.

My mentors: CarWritesFanfic & nuggetgirl773. You're both incredible writers whose works have been very inspirational to me. Thanks you too.

My other friends: QueerNom, @-_Native_Softie_-, PanTranStuff, DykeJesus420, gayshipsamiright, JossyInTheBathroom, InsanelyCoolRae, myshortinfinity, jjjjuicy, @—Sock-, @-frnxie-, ik_ben_blij, agaychickenTheGreatNotJesus, , helltalia_bruh. @apaprea, and fakevscogirl .

LidiaTheGoddess, there is no denying your influence on my life and this book. Thank you.

artsyybee and TheOfficialStick, and plaggisthefandom, you absolute icons.

It's been a long ride, hasn't it? And some of you have been here the entire process, but most of you are just joining. I'm grateful for each and everyone of you. Please know that if you've ever commented, voted, replied to an announcement, sent me a DM, or even just read silently, you mean a lot to me. See you around!