Chapter 3

C-C-Cold.

The chilly atmosphere sent goose bumps running up and down Lisa's arms, causing her to shiver.

Where am I?

She opened her eyes but was unable to see clearly. Instead, her heavy lidded vision revealed half images and swirling colors that created a kaleidoscopic blur of reds and grays.

Oh, Jesus Christ!

She tried blinking repeatedly but it didn't help to clear her vision. Now the colors alternated between dark and lighter shades of gray and red.

I really need to stop partying. Wait, I don't party.

Lisa forced her eyes wide open to clear her vision but it remained unfocused.

What the hell is going on?

She blinked, squinted, and even squeezed her eyes tight trying to make out anything through the blur.

Oh this is bad...really, really bad.

Her instincts were crying out for her to focus.

Alright don't panic, use your other senses.

Slowly, she concentrated on the environment around her. This pungent smell assaulted her nose; it was something like a strong anti-septic mixed with a cinnamon scent.

What is this smell? What about this freaking beeping sound?

Her rational detective senses were starting to kick in.

This isn't my room and since I don't do sleepovers...

"Ms Manoban?"

Lisa attempted to reply but was thwarted by something scratching her throat.

What the fuck?

"Ms Manoban?"

Lisa turned toward the voice and was met with the outline of an angel.

Oh, shit! Don't tell me I've screwed myself to death.

"Lalisa, when I count to three, I need you to cough."

Cough? I don't want to cough.

"Alright Lalisa, I need you to cough now"

I don't need to...

Suddenly, the tickle at the back of her throat turned more painful.

Alright, enough! I'll cough. I'll... The sound of her own raspy coughing sent shudders through her body.

"It's okay Lalisa. I pulled the tube out of your throat. It will ease your discomfort"

You call ripping my throat out a discomfort? Maybe this isn't heaven after all.

Lisa felt cold fingers roaming and poking her body.

Hey! Stop touching me. Why are you tying that around my arm? Ouch! Stop that your moron. It's hurting...that's right, let it go. That's better, thank you!

Lisa tried once again to focus her vision but the figures moved away from her.

Hey, come back here!

The light around her began to fade.

Where the hell am I anyway?

Lisa didn't find her answers as her eyelids grew too heavy to keep open and her world faded to black.

...

It was pre-dawn when Dr. Kim walked to the admit desk area and looked over the board.

"Hernandez, the patient in exam one has been here since eleven o'clock with left flank pain." Jennie handed him the chart. "You might want to check that out."