Chapter 11

Lisa was flying on the automatic pilot this morning while her mind kept drifting back to the brief encounter she'd had the night before. The image of Jennie's face, her smile, the softness of Jennie's skin under her lips made it impossible for Lisa to focus on anything else. That was until the tiny scrapings of a key being placed on her front door alerted her ever-present detective senses. Lisa's hand reached for her gun holstered under her left arm while her suspicious gaze held the door in high esteem. She quickly ran through the list of possibilities in her mind. No one, whether it was lover or even her own mother, had a key to her apartment. She thought for a moment listening as the key turned in the lock. As the tumbled began to click in an effort to unlock, Lisa remembered the one person in the world that she'd ever trusted enough to have given her key to.

"Rose," Lisa said with relief, shifting her hand away from her weapon as the door opened into her line of sight.

"Morning, Liz," Rose smiled charmingly as she slipped the key from the lock and closed the door.

"I thought I gave you a key for emergency use only like as when I die."

"Well, it's an emergency to me. I'm hungry." Rose joined Lisa behind the kitchen's breakfast bar and ogled the nearly finished bowl of cereal sitting in front of Lisa.

"Don't you have food at your own place?"

"Nope, I let you keep it here for me."

Lisa rolled her eyes. "That's a lame excuse for hanging around here."

"Got any cereal left?" Rose started rummaging through the cabinets.

"Do I look like a grocery store to you?" Lisa got up from her stool and placed her bowl in the sink.

"What's with the sour mood?" Rose frowned when Lisa jostled Rose aside on her way out of the kitchen. "Don't tell me Hope goes by the 'no sex on the first date' rule? Cause her sister sure doesn't." Rose smiled obnoxiously ignoring Lisa's scowl as she poured cereal into her hand. "I'm telling you, Lisa, the woman is a volcano."

"Save it Rose. And FYI Hope doesn't have any rules against sex either." Lisa nodded toward the door. "You just missed her."

"You go girl!" Rose cheered around a mouthful of cereal. "So what's the matter? Was she that bad? Cause if that's the problem I'm sure she can take a few lessons from her sister—"

"No pervert, that's not it."

"Then what's wrong?" Rose swallowed her cereal and narrowed her eyes at Lisa.

Lisa starred out the window contemplating what to say. "Have you ever cheated on someone, Rose?"

"Yes..." Rose answered cautiously.

"How did it make you feel?"

"What does that have to do with the price of eggs anyway?" Confusion was plastered all over Rose's face. "Okay Lisa, I'll bite. You're not cheating on anyone, are you?"

"No, but last night, I...I felt like I was."

"Cheating on whom?" Rose's brows furrowed in a quandary as the words shot out of her mouth.

"Myself, maybe," Lisa smirked as she sat down on the couch.

"Liz, are you back on those meds again?" Rose grabbed the box of cereal and a bowlful of milk then plopped down on the couch next to Lisa. When no answer came to her question, Rose sat there starring at the sister she thought she'd known. Rose watched as one brown orb shifted only slightly in his direction.

"What?" Rose garbled out through a mouthful of cereal.

"Why would you think that?"

"Either you're on drugs or you're drunk because, honestly, you're not making any sense." Rose shook her head stuffing another spoonful of cereal into her mouth.