Chapter 14

Lisa brought the telephone up to her ear. Yet again the dial tone blared just like every other time she had repeated the motion over the course of the last two days.

"Damn it!"

She slammed the phone back into its cradle and immediately reached for her phone. One look at the bars showing on its digital display told her the signal was good. Lisa shoved the phone back into her pocket.

"So much for keeping my hopes high."

Lisa hastily looked around the room in an attempt to hide her disgust. She'd put herself out there for the first time in years and now she was feeling left in a lurch. She leaned forward running both of her hands through her hair the whole time wondering if the kisses she had shared with Jennie had meant anything at all to the other woman. The truth of the matter was those kisses had meant something to Lisa and given her reputation that was a major accomplishment all of its own.

Call her you moron, the tiny voice inside her head egged her on.

"I can't. I won't. She's the one with boyfriend issues."

"Who are you talking to?"

The voice coming from outside her head startled Lisa.

"Jin, what are you doing here?"

"Working or at least that's what I thought we were supposed to be doing."

Lisa cleared her throat and looked nervously about her clothing.

"So, who were you talking to?"

"My buttons." Lisa blurted out the first thing that came to her mind.

"God! And they say men are from Mars."

"Huh?" A look of confusion crossed Lisa's face as she watched Jin walk toward her.

"Whatever."

"Yeah, whatever." She mimicked his aloofness casting one last glance to the phone on her desk. Out of the corner of her eye she could see him clear some space and sit on the corner of her desk.

"Is there something up, Jin?" She turned her full attention in his direction.

"Do you have any plans for tonight?"

Lisa fought her natural impulse to look over to the phone.

"No."

"Excellent!" Jin nodded. "You and I are going to eat out tonight."

"Why? Is Irene back to the vegetarian phase again?"

"No! Thank God. No." Jin faked a shiver.

"Good. I'd hate to miss out dinner with you and your family."

"We'd still invite you."

"Yeah, but I'd have to refuse. Tofu turkey doesn't set well with a carnivore like me." Lisa showed her teeth and chomped several times to make her point.

"Okay, T-Rex. I get the picture. You only put up with my family for the steaks."

"And a few other things," Lisa said nonchalantly.

"Things?" Jin stared down at her and waited with bated breath.

Finally, Lisa caved in. "Okay, I like the kids and Irene, too."

"That's good. Now that we've got that settled, how about we get back to the business at hand?"

"I'm all for business." Lisa leaned back in her chair. She watched as Jin's expression turned serious. "I take it we're talking about Sgt. Miller."