Chapter 4

Exhausted after working thirty hours straight, Jennie was finally able to trade her lab coat fora casual jacket but it didn't stop her mind from continuing on with her job.

"Hey, Jackson, did you see the patient in trauma seven?"

"Uh, yeah," the resident continued typing into the computer. "She agreed to voluntary admission."

"Thank you." Jennie heard someone moving behind her and turned to see the ER head nurse.

"Hey Jisoo"

"Hi Doc, are you taking off now?"

"Yeah, I'm pretty beat" Jennie stretched her arms above her head. "But you won't miss me cause I'll be back tonight for another shift."

"Night shift again?" Jisoo furrowed her brows in fake confusion "Gee, what's the point of being the boss then?"

"Funny, but we're short staffed."

"Wendy's still out of town?"

"Yes..." Jennie watched a hasting nurse cross the desk and crouch behind it fussing with some boxes. "Sunny, when is Wendy coming back?"

"Next Monday, I think" the nurse replied picking up a chart and a pair of latex gloves.

"Where did the nurses' favorite attending go?" jackson smirked obnoxiously without even taking his eyes off the computer screen.

"He went to visit his dad in Ohio." Sunny glared at the resident before circling the desk. Without altering her course a step or two, she dodged the doctor entering the ER.

Abruptly halted, his narrowed eyes followed Sunny's retreating form. "We need some traffic signs in here." He turned to greet his co-workers. "Good morning, ladies and gentleman."

"Hi, Morgan," Jennie replied.

"Hey, Jennie, what are you still doing here? I thought you were off at three."

"A bus crashed on Central Park West." She tied her hair back and tucked in her scarf.

"How many did we get?"

"Six." She erased a few names from the board "Three went up to the OR. Two didn't require surgery as of yet and are at the Neuro ICU and one's waiting on a monitored bed for a 23 hour observation."

"Sounds like a full day," Morgan commented.

"Add to that spending the last three hours trying to keep the board running. Yes," Jennie turned to survey her realm, "it was a very full day."

"What happened to the new attending that started last week?" Morgan questioned furrowing his brows.

"Couldn't keep up the pace," Jisoo said as she darted across the staff area. "He moved to Seattle."

"Smart guy" Morgan muttered as he straightened his backpack over his shoulder, his gaze falling on the young resident at the computer. "Jackson, are you still on psychiatric rotation?"

"Yep and it's keeping me busy." He stood up and proceeded to move past Jennie, offering her an obviously flirtatious wink. "But I can't wait to come back down here."

Unimpressed with his schoolboy tactics, Jennie rolled her eyes and turned to address her relief.

"Alright Morgan, these are the critical ones." Jennie handed him several charts. "I signed out the rest to Rosenberg." She turned to the only nurse at the desk. "Jisoo, will you give Mr. Jones a dose of Amoxicillin and discharge him, please?"