The Worst Is Behind Us

The eagles soar through the sky over a great distance and over many landscapes. Thorin lies unconscious in one eagle's talons; the others worry about him. Fili shouts "Thorin !" as Kili shouts "Thyri !"

The eagles approach a massive rock structure shaped like a bear; it is a carrock

The eagles approach a massive rock structure shaped like a bear; it is a carrock. The eagle carrying Thorin gently deposits him and his sword on a flat area on top of the carrock. Another eagle lands on the carrock and Gandalf slides off its neck, running toward the unconscious Thorin "Thorin ! Thorin." Thorin is not responding. Bilbo runs up. Gandalf places his hand on Thorin's face and whispers a spell. Thorin's eyes flutter open and he gasps for air. He speaks weakly "The halfling ?" Gandalf tells him "It's all right. Bilbo is here. He's quiet safe." By now, the other dwarves have all been landed on the carrock, and they surround the wounded Thorin. Dwalin and Kili help Thorin up. However, once he's up, he shrugs them off and approaches Bilbo "You ! What were you doing ? You nearly got yourself killed ! Did I not say that you would be a burden ? That you would not survive in the wild and that you had no place amongst us ?" He advances until he is face to face with Bilbo, who looks worried and frightened. Thorin grabs Bilbo and embraces him deeply "I've never been so wrong in all my life !"

 Thorin grabs Bilbo and embraces him deeply "I've never been so wrong in all my life !"

The other dwarves cheer loudly and slap each other on the back. Gandalf smiles. Bilbo, looking quite surprised, hugs Thorin back. Thorin says "I am sorry I doubted you." Bilbo tells him "No, I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior... not even a burglar." As everyone chuckles, the eagles fly away, screeching. Thorin smiles and calls out "Thyri." No one answered. They all look behind them and see a wounded Thyri. Thorin runs towards his sister "No ! Thyri !" He kneels next to her and gently puts her head on his lap "Thyri, wake up. Please wake up I beg of you." He lets out tears "I am deeply sorry for how I behaved with you since you joined the quest. It wasn't because I hated you. It was because I didn't want to lose my twin sister."

Gandalf began to whisper a spell to heal Thyri

Gandalf began to whisper a spell to heal Thyri. Fili hugs Kili who is crying. The rest of the company have their head looking down. Then, they hear chuckling "What's with those faces ? Someone died ?" Thorin opens his eyes and sees his sister awaken "Titi." She looks at him, confused and sits up "No. No. This is a dream. This isn't real. The brother that I know doesn't cry. I think I hit my head more than I thought." The company chuckles. As she stood up, Thyri punches playfully her brother's arm "Come on. Cheer up, brother Thor." Thorin smiles and hugs her "I thought I lost you." Thyri also smiles and hugs back "You can't be serious. No one can take me that easily." Thorin puts his forehead on her. Fili and Kili joined the hug. Then, Thorin looks beyond Bilbo and sees something; he strides forward, and the others follow his gaze. Bilbo asks "Is that what I think it is ?" In the distance, on the horizon, they see the outline of a single, solitary mountain. Gandalf says "Erebor, the Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle-Earth." Thorin holds his sister's hand "Our home." Thyri smiles at him. A bird cheeps and flies by. Oin says "A raven ! The birds are returning to the mountain." More birdsong is heard. Gandalf tells him "That, my dear Oin, is a thrush." Thyri says "But we'll take it as a sign, *smiles at Bilbo* a good omen." Bilbo says "You're right. I do believe the worst is behind us."

The company looks on at the Lonely Mountain as the sun comes up behind them