New Recruit.

*WINNING STORY*

Note: wowowowow it's really difficult to write a story with only 500 words

I woke up to an unwelcome ray of sunlight streaming through the crack in the blinds

I woke up to an unwelcome ray of sunlight streaming through the crack in the blinds. Parting my lips, a semblance of a groan slipped out as I pushed my shaky arms underneath myself to try and lift my fatigued body off the floor. A sharp pounding in my head came as an effect, and it only worsened the droopiness of my eyes.

The pounding in my cranium was insistent, and I resigned myself to letting my body drop down to the soft-carpeted floor again. A few moments after, a strong hand lightly shook my shoulder.

"Doll, are you alright?"

The voice spoke in a whisper and was wonderfully tender and when I forced my eyes open, the face I was greeted by was equally gentle in nature.

"N-no," I managed a hoarse whisper.

"Well, hopefully these'll help," he smiled warmly and held out a glass of water and a couple aspirins, which I gratefully accepted. "I'm Steve."

"I know who you are," I nodded, only now recognizing that Captain America himself was trying to nurse me through my hangover.

He blushed somewhat and grinned sheepishly. "That's one good thing, at least. During all the commotion last night, I didn't have a chance to catch your name."

"It's Lex," I informed, carefully shifting myself into a properly-upright position, "Speaking of last night... would you mind explaining what happened? I can't remember anything, and the heaps of unconscious bodies littering the floor around me aren't very calming."

"Oh," his face dropped and his tone shifted, "right. Let me start by apologising. The team was meant to have a meeting last night, and Natasha said she was coming as Batman, so when you walked in..." He sighed, ashamed. "We should've checked, I know that. But we were on a pretty tight schedule. Anyway, Tony crafted this supplement that was supposed to enhance our powers, and last night was the test-run. The plan was to slip it into our drinks at the bar and then go out and ya know, fight crime and stuff. So, obviously, you ended up drinking some, too, and it had some... strange side-effects."

My stomach twisted and I swallowed harshly. "Oh god. What did I do?"

"I don't know how but-" he stopped to chuckle, "You somehow managed to take out most of the city's criminals on your own. You'd wander the streets looking for bad guys and when you found them, you'd beat them up and then hand-deliver them to us here at the tower. It was only once you ran out of people to fight and started picking out celebrities that we felt the need to stop you."

"You... drugged me to get rid of the effects of drugging me?"

"...yeah."

I scoffed in disbelief as I looked around the tarnished interior of one of Stark Tower's upper levels.

"Wow. I'm really sorry for all of this."

"No need to apologise, doll. You done good," Steve assured, "In fact...what would you say to becoming an Avenger?"