Hi, Stranger.

I carefully gathered the skirt of my dress and said my goodbyes to all of my co-workers before starting for the room's exit. It was an immaculate ball, but one can only take so much of being in the presence overly-affectionate couples. 

I'd barely reached the archway when a gentle tap on my shoulder halted me. I turned and was met with the partially covered, smiling face of a tall stranger. Even though a black mask obstructed most of his face, the sparkle in his eyes was undeniable.

"Forgive me for my forwardness," he apologised with a tilt of the head, "but I've been meaning to steal some of your company all night, and I'd very much like at least one dance with you before you leave."

I gave a small smile and raised one brow. "All night, hm? Where were you when I was drowning my sorrows in the chocolate fountain during the couples dance?"

His lips twitched upwards as he chuckled shortly. "I'm afraid your boss had me preoccupied."

Realisation dawned on me; I perked up slightly. "You're the new partner?"

"If I say yes, would you accept my offer for a dance?"

I startled a bit as I remembered that I still hadn't acknowledged his request. "Oh. Yes, of course."

With a full smile this time, he ran his hand down my arm, sending tingles down my spine, before gathering my hand in his and bringing it to his lips to plant a kiss just above my knuckles. He maintained eye contact all the while, and I felt his beautiful eyes drawing me in, hypnotising me.

"Shall we?"

I nodded weakly and let him lead me through the crowd, to the middle of the dance floor.

"I must admit," he spoke smoothly, "that I'm surprised you're without a date."

"He cancelled last minute."

"Stupid boy. Although, I suppose I should thank him – if he'd shown, I wouldn't be dancing with the most beautiful woman here." He lifted his hand from my waist to brush my hair away from my face; I felt my face heat up as his fingers touched my cheek and I prayed he didn't notice. "I'd love to have you for dinner, sometime. If you'd like."

I looked into his eyes. "Yeah, dinner sounds lovely."

He beamed widely just as my boss' secretary came rushing over. "I need your help; I can't find Jack anywhere."

"Uh..." I looked to my dance partner, who nodded, then turned back. "Okay, I'll check the library."

~

I choked back a scream as I entered the library. There, in the middle of the floor, was my boss – dead, with two puncture wounds right in the nape of his neck.

I jumped as the door closed suddenly, before hesitantly turning around and seeing my dance partner.

"I did tell you he had me preoccupied, did I not?" He smiled, and my stomach twisted as I noticed the two sharp fangs amongst his teeth. "Now, about that dinner we discussed..."