Chapter I: Frozen Heart

Sitting on a bullhead on a path for Vale, you sit with your elbow propped against the wall, staring out the window at the sky passing by. It's been a while since you were last home, almost two months. The reason being that you were on an advanced huntsman assignment from the headmaster of Beacon academy, the school which you attended. You were currently in the middle of your third year at Beacon. At the beginning of the year, all upperclassmen had the opportunity to apply for enrollment in Beacon's advanced pathway. This meant advanced classes, a heavier course load, and of course, more demanding field assignments. Those who wished to apply for the advanced pathway needed to submit a 10,000 word essay detailing their academic accomplishments during their time at Beacon, including three teacher recommendations. Additionally, they needed to prove that they were capable of handling themselves in the field, as all who were accepted into the program would no longer operate on a team of four, and instead would be grouped in accordance to the mission they were to be sent on. After the mission was completed, a new group would be assigned for the next.

Those who successfully completed the advanced pathway would be able to graduate a year ahead of schedule. This meant that in just over four months you would receive your certification as a professional huntsman. Your certification would also come with a special seal, marking you as one of the few who had completed one of the academies advanced training programs. Huntsmen in possession of this mark were heavily sought after by potential employers. So far you were having great success with the program, standing at the top of your class. Unfortunately, being number one came with many sacrifices on your part. Less sleep, little social life, and most importantly, less time for your girlfriend, Weiss Schnee.

You and Weiss had met in your first year at Beacon. Arrogant, elegant, and perfect to a T, the young heiress immediately caught your attention. You had begun dating midway through your first year and since then had continued a happy relationship with one another. These last few months however, had put a considerable amount of strain on your relationship. Your frequent and often long missions meant that the time the two of you had to spend together was less and less. You'd missed several important dates, including one of Weiss' concert performances. Still, you made time whenever you could, and made sure not to miss any of the big dates, such as her birthday or your two-year anniversary. Still, you couldn't help but feel that Weiss resented you sometimes. She wasn't the only one. You hated how much time you had to spend away from her and wished that she could be by your side every second of the day. For this reason, you were currently on your way back to Beacon for a surprise visit. You retrieve your scroll from your inner jacket pocket and dial Weiss' number. Longing to hear her angelic voice, you're disappointed when you're greeted by her voicemail box instead.

"Hey Weiss. I uh, I wanted to apologize for not being able to be there for you lately. You know this whole advanced huntsman training program has been keeping me away a lot and because of that I've missed a lot of important dates. I know I haven't been the best boyfriend recently, but I'm gonna make things right. It's taken me longer than it should have, but I've decided that you're the most important thing in my life. It's just, I miss the people we used to be, you know? I miss eating lunch together under the shade of the cherry blossom tree. I miss skipping class to dip our feet in the lake. And I know it's too late to get back the time we've lost, but I've been thinking about my future, our future. So, I'm quitting the advanced path. I've already informed Ozpin of my decision. He didn't seem too pleased, but Beacon, becoming a huntsman, it doesn't matter. Nothing matters if I can't have you by my side. I'm on my way back to Beacon right now, and I wanted to know if... well, I'll ask when I see you, but I hope you say yes. I'm just about to land, so I'll uh, I'll see you soon alright? I love you Snowflake."

As you speak, you reach into your pocket and pull out a small ring. A simple silver band with small white diamonds glistening along the edge. A single larger diamond sits in the middle, a brilliant shade of ocean blue, contrasting the other opaque gems. This ring used to belong to your mother. She gave it to you on her death bed, placing it in your palm and wrapping her hands around yours, she told you how it was a family heirloom. How your father had given it to her on the day he proposed, and how his father had given it to your grandmother, and his father before him. She also gave you your father's old wedding band, one of similar design.