Chapter III: First Dance

Author's Note: Lien exchange rate can be approximated by using the example from Volume 5 Episode 6, Known by its Song. In this episode, Qrow pays Shiro's bar tab which is 16,000 Lien. I thus use the USD to Yen exchange rate for this story.

Reader's POV:

"Get me another." You say loudly, speech starting to slur.

You're currently sat at the bar in Junior's Club, trying to lose yourself at the bottom of a bottle. The lights flash rapidly overhead as the many partiers dance to the unnecessarily loud music. The bartender slides another drink across the countertop, coming to a halt in front of you. Grabbing it, you take a large drink before slamming it back on the bar. You swirl the glass in front of you before brining it to your lips again, downing the rest of it. You snap your fingers to get the bartenders attention and point at your once again empty drink.

"Slow down buddy," Junior says as he wipes out a glass with a rag, "it's not like this place is leavin' any time soon."

"Just shut up and pour me another. Make it a triple this time."

Junior shakes his head and pours your drink which you down in one shot. He refills your glass and leans forwards, placing his arms against the bar.

"You doin' alright kid?" He asks.

"I'm fine."

"Bullshit." He laughs. "I been doing this gig long enough to know a broken heart when I see one. So, what happened? Bad breakup?"

You groan and wipe a hand over your face. "Yeah. Guess you could say that."

"What, she catch you cheatin' on her with someone?" Junior presses.

You down your drink and slam your glass on the counter. Reaching into your pocket, you expect to find your mother and father's rings. You forgot your mother's was currently lying in the middle of a pile of crumpled roses on Weiss' floor. Withdrawing your hand, you instead only pull out your fathers.

"Oh." Junior says, seeing the ring. He takes a step back as he realizes he got it backwards. "Oh, sorry man." He says. "Man, you fell for her hard, huh?" You close your fist around your father's ring and let your hand fall onto the table, releasing a heavy sigh. "Hey, uh, drinks are on me tonight." He says, sliding you another before walking away to tend to other customers.

Grabbing your drink, you place your ring back into your pocket and swivel around on your stool and lean your back against the bar, watching the people on the dance floor. One of the flashing lights shines in your eyes and you bring you hand up to shield your vision.

________________________________________________________________________________

You lower your hand, allowing your eyes to get adjusted to the new lighting. The school cafeteria looked unrecognizable. Instead of the usual lunch tables lining the floor there were smaller circular tables scattered throughout the large room, each with a collection of white flowers in the middle. The lights are dimmer, but more colorful, different shades of pinks, purples, and blues illuminating the walls and ceiling.

Walking into the room you started to have second thoughts. Everyone else was dancing with their arms around their partners. Meanwhile you stood awkwardly in the middle of the entrance, no partner to speak of. You're about to turn and walk out when you spot Weiss sitting alone, staring wistfully out into the crowd, arms and legs crossed, foot shaking in time with the music. Taking a deep breath, you make your way through the crowd and over to her.

"Hey Snowflake." You greet.

Weiss looks up and rolls her eyes upon seeing you standing over her. "I wish you would stop calling me that."