Chapter IV: First Fight

You wake up the next morning with a splitting headache. The sun poking in through your closed curtains shines brightly in your eyes, only worsening your migraine. Rolling out of bed, the first thing you do is rush to the toilet to vomit. Rinsing your mouth from the tap to rid it of the horrid taste in your mouth, you head for your kitchen to make some coffee in hopes of curing your hangover. Setting the coffee pot on, you rummage through your cupboards and you pull out your usual coffee mug. Setting it down on the counter, you're about to pour yourself a mug when you stop. Looking at the cup you see Weiss' smiling face printed on it in a half heart. The letters 'Toge' and 'For' are printed across it as well. You set the coffee pot back down and just hold the mug up to your eyes.

________________________________________________________________________________

"You promised." Weiss shouts at you. "You promised me you'd be there."

"I know Weiss." You plead. "And I said I was sorry. I didn't know Ozpin was sending my team on a mission until two days ago."

It had been two months since you and Weiss had started dating, and since then life had been pure bliss, up until today. Weiss was having a special concert in three days time and was excited for you to come and watch her sing. She had made you promise multiple times that you would be there, not that she needed to, you wouldn't miss it for the world. Unfortunately, the world had other plans. Ozpin was sending your team on a special mission to help a small village in the mountains of Vale that had been experiencing frequent Grimm attacks. According to Ozpin, there was an unusually high concentration of Grimm in the area, and as the village had no huntsmen of their own, your team was being dispatched to assist them. The flight alone would take five hours, and according to Ozpin, you would be gone for a week at least, meaning that you wouldn't be able to make it to your girlfriend's concert.

"Well you could ask Ozpin to send someone else." Weiss argues.

"I already did." You tell her. "Believe me, I tried everything. I asked him to send a different team. I asked him if I could stay behind. But he insisted that it be my team and that everyone go."

"Then you can just refuse."

"And get expelled?" You scoff. "Look, I don't know why you're making this such a big deal."

"Excuse me?" Weiss almost yells. "This is a big deal. I got you a private seat in the front balcony. I had to kick my family out of that spot for you. Do you have any idea how that conversation went?"

"Well now you can tell them they can have that spot back." You say, not quite understanding what the problem was.

"You still don't get it!" She yells in frustration. "This isn't about my family, it's about you! You promised you'd be there to support me!"

"I know, but I already told you I can't make it. I already apologized, what else do you want?!"

"I want you to be there!"

"But I can't!"

"Then maybe we should just end this now." She says, turning her back to you.

"What?" You grab her shoulder and turn her around to see tears in her eyes. "Weiss, what are you saying."

"What I'm saying is, how are we supposed to last when you're already leaving me?"

You stand there stunned. It all makes sense now. Weiss told you about how her mother left her when she was just a child. And now she thinks you're doing the same thing. You move forwards and pull her into a hug, holding her to your chest.

"Hey, I'm not leaving you." You say, stroking her hair. "I would never leave you. How could I?" Weiss slowly wraps her arms around you and holds you closer, almost as if she's afraid you'll disappear if she lets go. "If I could be there, I would. You know that. But my hands are tied."

"I know." She says, voice muffled by your shirt. "I just, I don't want you to go."

"I don't want to go either." You kiss her on the forehead. "But I'll be back soon, okay. And I promise, when I get back, I'll make it up to you."

Third Person POV:

Weiss walks out on stage in a beautiful white dress. The crowd claps politely and falls silent as the house lights dim, leaving a single spotlight shining down on the Schnee heiress. She looks up at the balcony, hoping to see (F/N), but her father, brother, and sister sit there instead. The small band starts to play, and Weiss opens her mouth to start singing when the doors burst open. Many people turn their heads to see who would dare have the audacity to walk in late. Framed in the doorway is (F/N), dressed in a black suit and tie which he obviously put on it a hurry. Weiss smiles in disbelief as she watches (F/N) quickly make his way through the aisle and down to the stage, sitting on the stair next to the front row. People glare at him, obviously judging his disregard of timeliness and complete disrespect for the event. (F/N) pays them no mind, instead smiling up at his girlfriend on stage, who, in turn, beams at him. The bandleader coughs loudly, taking Weiss' attention of her boyfriend. She blushes embarrassedly when she realizes the band has been playing the first four opening bars in a continuous loop, waiting for her to start.

Reader's POV:

After the concert you sneak your way back stage. Dodging around security, you navigate your way towards Weiss' dressing room. Your about to knock on the door when you hear her father talking from inside. The door handle turns and you're just barely able to duck behind a corner before he and the rest of Weiss' family exit. Waiting until you're absolutely certain they've left, you knock on the door.

"Who is it?"

"Your biggest fan."

Weiss immediately throws open the door and pulls you inside, wrapping her arms around you.

"(F/N)!" She squeals. "I thought you weren't going to make it."

"Neither did I, but I made the team pull two all-nighters to finish the mission early. They're all really pissed at me, but hey, I couldn't miss my Snowflake's big concert, now could I?"

Grabbing your jacket, Weiss stands on her tip toes and places a kiss on your lips. You wrap your arms around her waist and pick her up, causing her to scream in delight.

"Come on, I made us dinner renovations."

Following dinner, you and Weiss returned to your apartment. Taking Weiss' coat, you place it in the closet while she goes to sit on the couch. You shrug off your suit jacket and toss it on the back of an armchair.

"Hey Weiss, you want anything to drink?"

"No thank you (F/N)."

"Come on." You encourage. "You've had a long day and you need to relax. How about some warm cider?"

"Umm, okay?" She says, somewhat confused.

Pouring two mugs of cider, you make your way to join Weiss on the couch. You hand her her drink and she takes an appreciative sip and you do the same.

"(F/N)?" Weiss asks.

"Hmm?"

"What's on this mug?"

You grin into your drink. Weiss holds her cup up to her eyes and examines it. It has your face in a half heart and the letters 'ther' and 'ever' printed across it. Taking it from her, you place it on the wooden coffee table in front of you and set yours next to it.

"It's a promise." You tell her.

Next to each other, the two mugs form a picture. You and Weiss with your arms wrapped around each other, staring lovingly into each other's eyes.

"A promise?"

"That I will never leave you. These mugs are to remind you of that. Whether I'm busy on a mission, or you are, I promise you this. Together, forever."

________________________________________________________________________________

Tears fill your eyes as you remember the memories that came with this mug and its pair. Cuddling together during Christmas, drinking hot coco. A cinnamon chocolate concoction of Weiss' invention shared on Valentine's day. Filled to the brim with coffee the morning after your first time making love. Your knuckles whiten around the handle as you think about how Weiss had thrown all that away. Yelling in rage and anguish, you spin and throw the mug against the wall where it breaks into a hundred tiny pieces.