Chapter II: First Time Holding Hands

Tears fall freely from your eyes as you walk at a quick pace through the halls of the building. You exit the building, making your way across the school grounds towards the main courtyard where you hope to catch a ride back to Vale. The people around you seem to pass in a blur as you slowly walk amongst them. A young couple passes by in front of you. You watch as they take slight pause to kiss each other. As they walk off, you catch yourself staring at their intertwined hands.

________________________________________________________________________________

It's just a week before Christmas and the kingdom of Vale was celebrating the season with its annual parade. Large floats drove by, some carrying Christmas carolers, others displaying glistening ice sculptures like great diamond statues. Team RWBY had invited you to accompany them to watch the parade with them, and now you all stood on the sidewalk with the rest of the crowd, watching cheerfully as the Vale marching band passes by.

All along the sidewalk are small booths where people can purchase hot chocolate and warm cider to help fight the chilly evening. Snow falls gently from the heavens above gathering on the onlookers' shoulders and hats, giving the appearance of bad dandruff. People laughed and exchanged good tidings with one another as they took part in the joyous occasion. Everyone was enjoying themselves. Everyone except...

"Remind me why we're standing in the freezing cold again." Weiss complains through chattering teeth.

"Come one Weiss." Yang says cheerfully. "It's your first Vale Christmas Parade. Ruby and I used to come and watch it every year with our dad."

"Every year?" Weiss asks, arms folded over her chest, rubbing at her shoulders. "Doesn't it get old after a while?"

"Weiss," Ruby whines, stomping a foot on the ground, "stop beings such a downer, you're killing the Christmas spirit."

"Well maybe I wouldn't be in such a foul mood if you hadn't insisted on standing out in subzero temperatures for an hour." Weiss argues. "Honestly, why couldn't we have watched this on the news, or from inside one of the many nearby buildings?"

"Oh, come on Weiss. That's no fun." Yang says sadly.

"Even I must agree that witnessing the event in person is far more enjoyable." Blake agrees.

"I'm not saying it isn't fun." Weiss says defensively. "I just wish it wasn't so cold out."

"We told you to dress warm." Yang says.

The rest of Team RWBY is wearing large bulky winter jackets, hats, earmuffs, scarves, and mittens. You're currently dressed in a large, heavy wool jacket that falls to your knees, accompanied by a pair of gloves and a warm scarf. Weiss however, dressed in her usual attire, a light cardigan her only shield from the cold night air. You chuckle lightly as Weiss opens and closes her mouth, unable to come up with a decent excuse.

Just then, a particularly fierce gust of wind blows throughout the crowd, causing even those with multiple layers to shiver. Cold tears fall from Weiss' eyes and roll down her red cheeks. Unbuttoning your jacket and unraveling your scarf, you hold out the side of your warm coat and drape it over Weiss' shoulder, proceeding to wrap your scarf around both your necks. You don't know what caused this surge of courage, but you can face the consequences later.

Weiss looks up at you and it seems like she's almost about to say something, but she decides against it, instead appreciating the warmth your jacket and scarf provide. Though you're now more exposed to the cold, you feel warmer than ever. Your face flushes and your heartbeat quickens as you become aware of how close the two of you are standing. You've never been this close to your crush before, and your mind goes blank as your arm rubs up against hers, hands brushing each other every so often.

"Thank you." Weiss says, smiling up at you.

God that smile. You think to yourself. It's shines brighter than a thousand suns. You feel your insides warm as she turns her head back towards the parade, still smiling. You bet that if you were to completely remove your jacket and scarf and give them to Weiss, you would be just fine. Her resulting smile would warm you for hours. The next few minutes pass in silence. Weiss seems to enjoy watching the parade now, but you're no longer paying attention to the passing floats. Instead your attention is focused solely on Weiss and her smiling, angelic face.

Suddenly the silence is interrupted by Ruby screaming and jumping up and down, pointing towards the back of the parade. "Oh my gosh, look!" She shouts, causing everyone in the vicinity to jump. "It's Santa!"

Ruby's screams attract the attention of little children everywhere, who suddenly drag their parents to the front of the crowd in an attempt to catch a glimpse of the jolly fat man in red. A small boy brushes by Weiss, his father bumping into her. Weiss loses balance as is about to topple over when you catch her by the arms and help steady her. Even after she's regained her balance, she doesn't let go of your arms.

"My hero." She jokes.

Thank God it's so cold out, otherwise you wouldn't have an excuse for the redness of your face.

"Any time M'lady." You say with a flourish of your hands and a bow, causing her to giggle.

"(F/N), Weiss, shut up!" Ruby shouts. "Can't you see Santa's right there?! You two can flirt later!"

Yours and Weiss' laughter dies immediately, the two of you quickly looking away from each other, rubbing your arm uncomfortably. Yang and Blake have to hold Ruby back from running out into the street and jumping up on Santa's float. Honestly, how old was Ruby? The second half of the parade followed the main float, these displays carrying large glowing Christmas trees and several real live reindeer. Ruby's words still echo in your head as you watch a large choir on a simple float pass by. Their voices are beautiful and enchanting, adding to the atmosphere already thick with Christmas cheer. As their song resonates in your ears, you wonder how Weiss felt about Ruby's earlier comment. Obviously you weren't the only one made uncomfortable, but were the reasons the same?

You're pulled out of your thoughts when you feel Weiss hand slip into your own. You look down at your interlaced fingers in surprise, then at Weiss. She's looking up at you with a small smile. You squeeze her hand back, causing her smile to grow. Turning your heads back to the parade, you continue to watch with a large grin on your face, more focused on the warmth of Weiss' hand in yours than the festivities. The two of you continue to hold hands on your walk back to the bullhead for Beacon, hidden from the other three girls by your jacket hanging over both your shoulders.

________________________________________________________________________________

You get up from the bench you were sitting on as a bullhead docks at the courtyard. Making your way towards it, you hear your name called from behind you accompanied by running footsteps. Recognizing the voice, you increase your pace. The hangar doors close just before Weiss' outstretched hand can reach you. Tears stream down her face as she watches your airship depart and make its way towards the kingdom.