Chapter 2

Rudy hated being stuck with storage room duty, but he had little choice. He hadn't expected there to be any casualties so soon. His ears vibrated as he carried the wispy pink cocoon, and he shook his head rapidly to relieve himself of the uncomfortable sensation. It was something he was quite used to now, a side effect of Juicy and Jacko's obscenely loud wailing. This, of course, indicated that either one or both humans were on their way to the storage room now, likely lured by the scent of death.

Rudy could feel his stress heightening as he contemplated the millions of possible scenarios the next couple of minutes could bring. It depended almost entirely on Jacko's presence—if she were coming alone, he'd be in one for one hell of a ride; if her arrival was accompanied by Juicy, however, he may have a shot at evading any physical obstacles, and just being faced with some of Jacko's strange requests. As he considered this, the elevator door opened and the two specimens tumbled out.

"My fucking ass," a deep voice grunted.

"I can smell it," a much higher voice cut through the mist. Rudy turned to see the humans sprawled on the floor, their limbs tangled amidst each other.

Both humans' heads rotated towards the tall alien standing several feet away from them, only his top half visible above the fog engulfing the room.

"Oh shit it's Rudy," Jacko said, untangling herself from Juicy and rising to her feet. Juicy hesitated before standing up as well, her entire body vibrating noticeably in the dim lighting of the storage room.

"I didn't smell him this time. The smell of death must have concealed his angelic scent."

"Hey. Hey, Rudy," Jacko cooed, stepping closer to the depressed Klown, "whatcha got there? A snack?"

Rudy took a wide step backwards, gently swinging the cocoon out of the human's reach. "It's not for you," he mumbled. "First catch of the day."

"Yeah, well, I'm fucking hungry, and I live on this ship too. Hand it over before I chew your toes off."

Rudy began to sweat. He couldn't get in trouble for something like this again. He had to defend himself against the human menaces, or die trying. He looked to Juicy, hoping to gain her support.

"Please don't make me choose oh god," Juicy said, trembling more heavily now. She was becoming stressed, and the outcome of putting her under pressure was often horrendous. She opened her mouth slightly, preparing to let out an inhuman screech.

Rudy peed his pants. Terrified and embarrassed, he was preparing to drop the cocoon and run when the sound of distant voices entered the room. All three organisms whipped their heads towards the elevator door, their ears grasping for the source of the noise. The voices were speaking English.

"Humans," Rudy uttered, his yellowed eyes widening.

"About goddamn time," Jacko said, licking her lips hungrily. She barreled towards the elevator on all fours, smacking the puffy red button and scrambling inside just before the door closed. Juicy watched, surprised by Jacko's sudden retreat. Jacko had never run off without the two of them discussing it first, even briefly.

Frightened and confused, Juicy and Rudy looked at each other. "We have to leave this room," Rudy said. "Jojo would want us to track down the humans before Jacko gets to them."

"I'm gonna clean up your peepee," Juicy said.

"Okay, after that."

Jacko's sense of direction had gone awry as she belted down the halls in search of the humans. She wasn't used to acting without communicating her intentions to Juicy first, whether it be through a simple glance or actual language. Either way, her senses were betraying her now, and she found herself tripping over her own feet. The voices were growing farther away. Breathing heavily, her tongue lolling from her mouth, she slowed her pace and attempted to clear her mind of thought, searching for that little buzz that connected her to Juicy, functioning almost as a telepathic link of sorts. There was nothing.

"You're blinking a lot," Rudy said, eyeing Juicy cautiously as he buttoned up a new, but identical in appearance, clean uniform. The human was splayed out on the restroom floor, blinking rapidly as she watched the sweaty Klown adjust his garb. She seemed to be chewing on something, though the angle made it nearly impossible to tell what it was. Common sense indicated Rudy was better off not knowing.

"I can't feel her," Juicy responded, or at least that's what Rudy was able to make of it—her voice was muffled and her words distorted, garbled by her newfound chew toy. Which, upon taking notice of the blood dribbling off Juicy's bottom lip, the Klown realized was her own elongated tongue. This would not be the first time she chewed her own tongue off, if it came down to it.

Rudy pushed away his initial instincts, ones he knew he would have to neglect in the presence of the other Klowns, and stared down at what could very well become a bloody mess if he didn't take care of it now. "We'll find Jacko," he muttered, his swollen hands twitching at his sides. His anxiety was preparing to peak as he made eye contact with the disturbed human. "We'll find her, very soon."

"Right now?" Juicy squeaked, a thin stream of blood exiting her mouth as she spoke. She was shaking again, a cry of distress working its way into her throat.

Rudy swallowed nervously. "We should take care of the humans, first. That way they won't cause any trouble."

Juicy nodded, her jitters decreasing in frequency as she recalled the situation. Humans! She sat up suddenly, her tongue already having repaired itself in the short amount of time she had neglected to chew it, and gave the alien beside her a smile so wide it seemed to reach her ears. "Right right right," she said, clapping her hands together eagerly, "let's do em' in. Burn them alive. Eat the flesh off their bones. And then we'll take the corpses and-!"

The Klown had clasped his colorless palm over Juicy's mouth, and, strangely enough, not because she was quite possibly about to suggest assaulting the humans' dead bodies. Instead, he was reacting to the reappearance of the human voices, which had reached the storage room. He listened carefully, and without thinking, swiftly picked up Juicy, cradling her in his arms like a wounded animal. She took no notice, nibbling and slobbering all over the fingers silencing her. Rudy shifted her to one arm and took the cocoon he had intended to store earlier in the other, gingerly exiting the bathroom and heading to the source of the talking.