Chapter 9

The drugstore was empty and dark, the power having gone out about fifteen minutes after Shorty and Rudy's departure. It took Jacko approximately twenty minutes to regenerate, considering the severity of her wounds, and when she finally burst free from her prison, the flames of Hell could be seen in her eyes. She couldn't believe what had just happened.

She retrieved the wrench from the floor, briefly looking it over for signs of damage before heading to the front of the store. She had no idea how much time had passed, but the cocoon behind the register told her that her targets had fled the scene. She instinctively tightened her hold on the wrench as raw anger replaced all coherent thought (not that there had been much to begin with); she was going to obliterate both those pathetic Klowns. But first...

"Are you okay?!" Spike asked when he reunited with the human, who looked just about ready to commit murder. He considered reaching for her, but the pure rage radiating from her tiny body told him to avoid touching her for the time being. "You were gone for so long! I was so worried! Rudy and Shorty left earlier, they said they didn't see you in there..."

Jacko snapped her neck up at Spike, who flinched at the aggressive movement. "That was a lie," Jacko spat, "A filthy goddamn lie. I saw both those ugly rat shits in there, even spoke to them, those little..." She was preparing to release a string of curses when she did a double take on Spike, who was visibly cowering in fear. He had never encountered Jacko's anger before, let alone any behavior of hers that could be considered negative. She loosened her grip on the wrench and tried to offer him a smile, though it definitely wasn't a pretty one. "I'm sorry. I'm fine, really. I just got so angry when I thought about what they did..."

"What they did?" Spike asked, confusion quickly replacing his fear.

"Oh, yes," Jacko said, lowering her head sadly. "I went in to talk to Rudy, you see, and well...I guess he doesn't like me very much, because he cocooned me. Shorty just watched. It was awful..."

Spike gasped dramatically, bending over to meet his human companion. "You were cocooned?! Are you alright?" A slight blush spread across Jacko's cheeks as the Klown cupped them in worry, checking for injuries.

"I'm fine, I've healed," Jacko assured him, averting her gaze in embarrassment. "But those Klowns...they're not supposed to hurt us defects. It's against the rules, right?"

"Oh, it sure is!" Spike replied, removing his hands and placing them on his hips, his voice adopting the tone of a protective mother whose child has just been wronged. "But, are you sure they knew it was you? Perhaps they thought you were just some random human..."

"I spoke to them," Jacko said, her voice wavering in a mock cry, "and they even responded to me! They knew it was me. And they laughed as they cocooned me, too." She ended her statement with a fake sniffle.

"They laughed?!" Spike was as close to fuming as he could visibly get, his shrunken eyes practically bulging out of their sockets. "And to think I trusted them with your company! Ooh, when Jojo hears about this, he'll—"

"Don't tell Jojo!" Jacko shrieked, instinctively gripping the Klown's uniform. If the all-powerful Jojo became involved, he'd surely uncover the truth in a swift and possibly violent manner. And then what?

"Why not?" Spike cocked his head a little, confused.

"I don't want this to be a huge thing, y'know?" Jacko said, shooting puppy eyes at Spike. "It should be kept between us. It's become personal."

"Oh, I see!" Spike responded, immediately perking up in understanding of the situation. "Yes, that makes perfect sense! This clearly should be settled between you and Rudy." He looked down at his human counterpart. "But not alone this time. I'm not going to let him or Shorty treat you like that again! We're going to find them together."

Jacko smiled awkwardly, a little uncomfortable with the possibility of Spike's further involvement. After all, if he discovered the truth himself...well, thankfully he wasn't the brightest Klown in the galaxy. "Just let me handle most of it, okay?" she said, trying to ignore the blush creeping along her face as she realized she was still clinging onto Spike's suit.

"You got it!" In one quick, almost graceful movement, the Klown picked up Jacko and placed her on his right shoulder, the frills of his collar tickling her cheeks as she adjusted herself. Unbeknownst to the defect, Spike was fiddling with the Cocoon Gun in his pocket, wondering if he was going to have to use it on his own kind. A crime against all of Klown society, for sure, and the mere concept both frightened and startled him—but he'd do what was necessary to ensure the safety and comfort of Jacko. Besides, he was pretty much already a criminal, though he would never admit it aloud. Everyone knows Klowns aren't supposed to love humans.