Chapter 12

Surprisingly, some buses were still in operation around town, the drivers seemingly oblivious to the alien invasion occurring outside. One such example was the bus driver who greeted Slim and Juicy as they boarded the vehicle, the defective human holding her mallet behind her back in a pitiful attempt to mask its presence. The Klown had decided he and his disabled guest would utilize the bus as regular humans did; the town's population had gone down so drastically since the night began that most areas, and as a result, buses, were completely devoid of life.

"Hey there! Slow night, huh?" the bus driver said as he looked the strange duo up and down, clearly amused by their garb. "What's with the getup? Is there a party going on downtown or something?"

Slim gazed down towards the middle-aged human man, as he was so horrifically tall that he loomed over him like some sort of horror film antagonist. "Yes. A very big party, in fact," the alien responded in near-perfect English, his voice deep and intimidatingly emotionless. He began to wander towards the back of the bus, pushing past the empty rows of seats as Juicy quickly followed suit.

"Ah, I guess that would explain it..." the driver responded, but his dialogue rapidly dissipated as the pair left him behind. He shrugged to himself, lightly disturbed by his guests, but relieved to have some business, at least.

Slim chose to sit at the very back of the bus, not wanting to be interrupted by the driver or anyone else who might happen to board along the way. He gestured for the defect to join him, and she did so, climbing onto the cushioned seat with a small whine of effort, then placing her hammer down beside her, handling it with all the grace of an injured horse. She turned hopefully to her companion, flashing one of her usual toothy smiles that indicated the loyal admiration Slim had grown to favor so heavily. Before the Klown could address her, she began to blabber excitedly, "Slim! Slim! I didn't know you could speak English! That's so cool! Can you teach me? Do you know all the words? You sounded just like a human, you—"

Her rambling was immediately silenced by a fat, sweaty palm, the owner of which was glaring at her in distaste. "Keep it down," he said, speaking in his own tongue yet again, though somewhat quietly. "I told you to act normal, didn't I?"

"I am actin' normal!" Juicy cried, but her words were muffled by Slim's oversized hand, and it was difficult to decipher—not that her strange blend of multiple languages was coherent in the first place.

"You're acting like a complete imbecile," Slim retorted, but he chose to remove his hand anyways, wiping it disgustedly on his suit to rid it of the defect's saliva. Juicy smacked her lips in response, licking the surrounding flesh with her elongated tongue in a rather horrendous fashion, as if she was trying to ingest Slim's sweaty Klown germs. In truth, she probably was.

"I didn't know you could speak English," she finally repeated, but she was making a clear attempt to whisper this time. She had both her puny hands resting in her lap as she eagerly awaited an answer, her gaze firmly settled on the large alien.

The Klown in question simply sighed; he couldn't exactly brag about this one, as the majority of his species was capable of comprehending and speaking the primary human language. It was actually relatively uncommon for Klowns to know under thirty languages nowadays, as they needed to be prepared to understand the local tongue wherever they traveled. Slim himself knew sixty-two. "Yes, all of us can," he said, choosing to avoid the girl's line of sight for the time being. "We just don't have use for it most of the time."

Juicy's eyes widened in delight, her grin spreading to her ears as it so often did. "Does that mean Rudy can speak English too?" she asked excitedly, gleefully kicking her legs in the air. Her conversation partner instinctively narrowed his eyes in response, but she didn't seem to notice, her smile persisting all the same. She stared at him expectantly, her body visibly overflowing with nervous energy.