Chapter 7

Slim had considered shirking his duties, of course. Who wouldn't, when faced with the task of locating one of the defective humans? The Klown had his fair share of experience with both of the specimens, and there was not a single memory he was able to look fondly on. They were absolute shitheads, complete wastes of space. If they hadn't told him outright that they enjoyed his presence, he would have assumed they hated his guts. In conclusion, their methods of expressing affection were as flawed as possible.

However, there was a reason Slim had been chosen to complete this mission, and he knew it well. He was probably the only one who could endure the human's antics one-on-one without ditching his sanity entirely. Well, that and the fact that nobody else wanted the job. But the main reason was his incredible stamina, he was certain. And not to mention his efficiency in getting things done! It was no surprise that he was assigned to the most daunting of tasks.

If he thought about it long enough, he felt a sense of pride in being sent after the idiotic runaway, which was, ultimately, the reason for his going along with it. He made it his second priority though, focusing first and foremost on cocooning as many humans as physically possible. Jumbo had jokingly referred to him as a showoff before, and perhaps he was right in some respect...but if the other Klowns had Slim's talent, there's no doubt they'd do the same.

Slim was nearing the center of town now, having covered a decent amount of ground with the help of the local bus. Nobody seemed to notice or care that a colorful alien clown was riding around on the back of a bus and hopping off at each stop to lure unsuspecting humans into his villainous grasp. Not that he was complaining; in fact, human ignorance might be one of his greatest assets. It was something he was intending to take advantage of yet again as he dropped himself off at the next stop, his popcorn-filled bag by his side. He looked to the benches nearby, a group of humans occupying it and the space around it. A couple of elderly ones were seated on the bench, and Slim smirked as he considered how incredibly easy this would be. He whistled at the older human female, who turned towards the source of the goofy noise and smiled in delight. Slim waved cheerfully, waggling his fingers in a cartoony, exaggerated fashion as the human alerted her male counterpart to the Klown's presence. All according to plan.

Slim mashed his hands together animatedly, stretching his arms out to project a shadow puppet in the form of a rabbit on the brick wall behind him. The elderly humans appeared to enjoy it immediately, while the young couple leaning on the back of the bench was relatively unimpressed. That would change soon enough, but the Klown had to start out small if he wanted to secure the entire group of humans. He tapped his fat fingers together, producing a shadow puppet of an elephant on the wall, accompanied by semi-realistic sound effects. The humans gasped and cheered, the three on the bench standing up to get a closer look.

Slim grinned and snickered to himself as he prepared his next shadow puppet, which he knew would certainly appeal to the older humans. As it projected on the wall, he listened carefully to their excited cries, the positive response further inflating his ego. One of them was unlike the others, however, and for some reason it caused his smile to falter. It was way too high compared to the rest of them, for one thing. Or perhaps even more unsettling was the fact that it seemed to be coming from behind him...

His ears twitched as he zeroed in on the noise, which he quickly determined was indeed coming from behind him. He allowed himself a small peek as he moved on to the next shadow puppet. He fucking knew it as soon as he saw it.

Juicy was standing several feet behind him, clapping her hands as she giggled and bounced to Slim's performance. She wasn't looking at him at all, and he wondered if she even knew he was there, but had rather simply gotten distracted by the shadow show while wandering down the street. How had he not heard her? She definitely wasn't there when he first arrived at the stop. It was as if she had appeared out of thin air.

Well, no matter. This was the opportunity of a lifetime; Slim could acquire the entire group of humans and the defective human in one go, and what a feat that would be! He supposed regular humans weren't the only ones who responded to his unique forms of bait. Juicy had been caught like a rat in a trap. He prepared his finale as a police car calmly approached the scene.

If Slim had exited the spaceship in time, he would have recognized the passenger of the police car as the male trespasser from earlier. However, this was not the case, and Slim saw no reason to be alarmed by the vehicle's presence now. He laughed maniacally as his final shadow puppet, a vicious T-rex with glowing eyes, towered over the audience and swallowed it in one fell swoop. The shadow retracted into his hands, and he admired his achievement before reaching to store the victims in his bag. He would have to grab Juicy afterwards, but that wouldn't be difficult. He could feel her still standing there, likely in awe over what had just occurred.

His ears perked up at the sudden sound of a roaring engine and screeching tires. The police car that had been watching the spectacle from a safe distance was now barreling towards him. Oh, fuck.

With little thought, he bounded up and out of view, landing safely on the rooftop of the brick building. He quickly crawled away from the edge, laying on his stomach in case the humans tried to pick out his silhouette. He heard the car come to halt, and he muttered to himself as he realized that Juicy was still down there. What if the humans assumed her to be a Klown and took her hostage? He'd need to follow the car and—

"Hi!"

Slim released a small wheeze as he rolled onto his back and lifted his head to see the tiny defect staring down at him. She looked perfectly unharmed, but there was yet again no way she could have approached him without him hearing. What a filthy little enigma she was.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Slim gasped, pulling himself up onto his knees. He didn't like her looming over him, but he wasn't sure if it was safe to stand all the way up yet. "How did you get up here?"

"I followed you!" Juicy said. She sounded way too happy for the current situation.

"Yes, but..." Slim wasn't sure what to make of this. She was looking at him innocently, her head cocked slightly to one side; she clearly had no idea what he was getting worked up about. He decided he was better off dropping the subject. "Never mind. Did the humans see you?"

"Ha ha, I don't think so!" she chirped, dropping to the ground in a crisscross position. That seemed to be more comfortable for the both of them. "I think they were lookin' for you, though."

Slim grumbled and placed his hands firmly on the human's shoulders, pushing her back. "Yeah, so we need to get away from here. We can't have them finding us, you understand?"

The girl didn't resist, though she still looked entirely confused as to what was going on. "Where are we gonna go?" she asked, concern and fear now laced in her voice. "Are we goin' home? I miss home."

Having reached a safer distance, Slim stood up, growling as he grabbed the defect by the cloth of her uniform and pulled her up with him. He latched onto her arm, his grip tightening until his swollen fingers dug into her flesh. "No, we're not going home," he snarled, "not yet. The others are a ways from here, and I haven't finished my business in this part of town."

"A ways from here?!" Juicy squealed. Slim didn't hesitate to slap his hand roughly over her mouth, effectively silencing her. He avoided her gaze as he held her in place.

"Yes, a ways from here," he reiterated. "They sent me to come find you, as I'm the only one fit to do so." His eyes finally lowered to rest on Juicy, and he smiled, though something about it all was a tad aggressive. "I'm afraid we're going to be spending a good deal of time together, so I'll need you to do exactly as I say. Understand?"

Juicy nodded, seemingly excited by the concept, and the Klown frowned as his chest tightened. He wasn't sure why it did that, and the utter confusion of the feeling itself caused him distress. However, he didn't have time to deal with that right now. He slowly removed his hand from the human's mouth, and she licked her lips messily, her tongue slapping back and forth in a rather disgusting fashion. "Whatever you say, boss man!" she giggled, offering a half-assed salute. "You can count on me, promise!"

Slim smiled. Great. This was going to fucking suck.