18 - children: newborns

The omega is exhausted, naturally, practically sleep walking but still holding onto their pups fiercely.

The alpha is tired too, and stressed, because their omega's pained pheromones are still lingering in the omega's system, but they're almost completely overwhelmed by proud, contented ones.

They help each other stumble up the stairs to the omega's nest, and as the omega settles into a chair to feed the pups as they begin the stir, the alpha sets about scenting the nest once more before they all climb in, because the last time they did it was a day before the omega went into labour and the scent is old and faint.

The alpha gets distracted a lot, and spends whole minutes sat back on their haunches watching their omega breast feed their pups, stroking their tiny cheeks and crooning quietly when their tiny faces scrunch up in discomfort.

The omega needs help getting to the nest because their legs are about ready to give out, and as they lie back in the mess of pillows and blankets, one of the pups screws up their face and lets out a loud, keening cry.

The alpha immediately swoops in and picks them up, cradling them and rocking them gently. The pup just stares at them in abject shock, and then slowly raises a tiny hand, opening and closing their little fingers and waving their fist slowly.

The alpha settles themselves next to the omega, crooning and purring and whispering loving things in their ear, kissing their hair and all over the face, pausing only to kiss one of the pups when they squeak and mumbleThe omega is already almost dozing off, smiling and content in the alpha's embrace, one pup splayed out across their chest, the other sleeping soundly in the alpha's arms.

Instincts keep the alpha awake for an hour or so after their omega and pups have fallen asleep, but it's not an unpleasant hour. They're just happy to gaze at their new family and think about the years upon happy years they have ahead of them.

The alpha eventually drifts into sleep as well, their body curled protectively over their omega and pups, one arm cradling a pup and the other cupping their omega's head against their shoulder, falling asleep with a smile on their face.