Buckbeak ⚜ Chapter Three

First and second year came and went, and the anger within me was finally starting to boil over. Not only was I an outcast in my own family, I had become an outcast at my school. Draco had his group of friends, but they were just as intolerable as he was. Sure, I spoke to my brother here and there but I could never be apart of his group. I loved him of course, he was my brother. I just hated what he and the rest of my family stood for. Besides Draco's posse of insufferable Slytherins, my brother was rather unlikable to the rest of Hogwarts. He bullied anyone he felt to be beneath him, which were many students.

        Even though I didn't belong with my brother's crowd, I still had the name Malfoy. That meant the rest of the students at Hogwarts never even gave me a chance. My brother had quickly made such a reputation for himself that I was automatically lumped into the same category. Not to mention the fact that the Malfoy name in itself has a stereotype.

        There was only one student who was fair and open-minded about me to begin with. A girl who doesn't have one judgmental bone in her body, Luna Lovegood. Luna quickly became my best friend at Hogwarts. She was the most unique witch I knew. Luna was always very odd and had many quirks about her, but that's what I loved about her. She seemed to always be in a dream-like state going on about Nargles. If no one else was going to believe Nargles existed, I was going to believe right along with her. We were in different houses, her being in Ravenclaw, but we had many classes together so we spent quite a lot of time with each other.

        Luna and I walked to our first class together, Care of Magical Creatures. This was one of our favorite classes seeing as we thought these beautiful beasts were some of the most magical things we had ever seen. 

        Entering the woods for Hagrid's lesson, we walked behind Draco. Hagrid told us to open our books to page forty-nine. 

        "Exactly how do we do that?" Draco asked Hagrid, with a bit of attitude. 

        I looked down at the book we were given for class. It looked more like a monster than a book really. Anytime you'd try to open the bloody thing, it would try to attack you. I looked over at Luna who was holding the book like it was her baby, petting the spine of the book to try and calm it down. 

        "You just stroke the spine, of course!" Hagrid told Draco how to open the book, as if it were obvious. "Goodness me." he mumbled under his breath. 

        Draco started up with his nasty remarks towards the Gryffindor trio. I learned to ignore the scene he caused whenever he did this. Plus, my brother's obnoxious voice would always drown out whenever my eye caught Ron. 

        I was in a trance. Ron's orange hair was glowing in the sunlight and had a messiness to it. He wore a white button-up shirt that was untucked and had the sleeves rolled. He had tied his tie so short that the skinny end was peaking out from the bottom. This unkept look made my heart beat faster. Luna noticed my glazed over eyes and looked in the same direction as I was. 

        "Ron is always dancing in your eyes, (Y/N)." Luna commented. 

        Still entranced by the redheaded boy, I murmured. "He's grown up quite a bit, hasn't he?"

        "We all have." she reminded me.

        "I suppose you're right, Luna." 

        Hagrid then cleared his throat to get the attention of the class. The class settled down and looked towards Hagrid. A fantastic beast with the front half of an eagle and the hind half of a horse stood beside him. Hagrid introduced him as Buckbeak, a Hippogriff. He explained that the beautiful creature was a rather proud one and that it was best to approach the Hippogriff with respect as to not upset it. Hagrid pulled Harry Potter to approach Buckbeak first. After a long bow from Harry, the Hippogriff decided he was a friend. Harry went up to pet him and without warning, Hagrid picked Harry up and plopped him onto Buckbeak's back. The beast then took off running and spread it's wings, taking flight. The class watched in awe as Harry was sent flying high into the sky. 

        A few minutes later, Hagrid whistled for Buckbeak to return. The Hippogriff came to a landing and Hagrid picked Harry up off his back. The class all clapped and Draco scoffed an "Oh please." in jealousy because of the attention Harry was getting. Draco then stood up from the big rock he was sitting on and pushed his way through the crowd of students. 

        In a brisk walk, he charged towards the Hippogriff. "Yeah, see you're not dangerous at all, are you? You great ugly brute." A proud smirk came over my brother's face as he was right in front of Buckbeak. Hagrid then noticed and tried to stop Draco, but it was too late. The creature squawked threateningly and rose up on it's hind legs. The class filled with terror and screams. 

        "Draco, no!" I yelled out to him, quickly squeezing Luna's hand for comfort. All I wanted to do was run to him and try to help, but I was frozen in place. Draco put his arm in front of his face as the Hippogriff came down and scratched his arm with his front claw. Hagrid quickly interfered and calmed Buckbeak down. 

        Draco was rolling on the floor clutching his arm. "It's killed me! It's killed me!" he cried dramatically. 

        "Calm down, i-it's just a scratch!" Hagrid exclaimed in a panic. 

        To my surprise, Hermione ran up to them. "Hagrid! He has to be taken to the hospital!" 

        "I'm the teacher, I'll do it." Hagrid said as he picked Draco up in his arms. 

        I ran up to Hagrid. "I-I'll come with." I said nervously. Hagrid nodded and we began walking towards the castle. 

        "Oh, you're going to regret this!" Draco cried out to Hagrid as he was being carried. "Oh no..." I thought to myself. 

        "Class dismissed!" Hagrid yelled back to the class. 

        "You and your bloody chicken!" Draco continued.  

  ⚜

        i'm so excited that you guys are enjoying my work! thanks to everyone that has commented and voted so far, it means the world to me!