A Visitor ⚜ Chapter Four

In the Hospital Wing, I sat on a chair next to Draco who was sprawled out on one of the plain-looking hospital beds. My brother had been so overly dramatic the entire way up here that I had to mouth multiple apologies to Hagrid, who was way too nice about the situation. I had decided to sit with Draco through his moaning and groaning until my next class started. 

        "Just wait until Father hears about this. Hagrid will face real consequences then." Draco said smugly, almost to himself. 

        "Wasn't Hagrid the one who told you not to approach Buckbeak the way you did?" 

        "That oaf shouldn't be teaching classes in the first place! Just look at that awful beast he brought in today. Didn't you see what it did to me?!" he said in a defensive manner, raising his arm that rest in a sling. 

        "Don't be so dramatic. It wasn't Hagrid's fault, he even carried you all the way up here for Godric's sake." I told him. 

        "Then it's that disgusting creature's fault. Who knows how dangerous that thing could be."

        "Did you hear who came to your rescue? Who told Hagrid to take you to the hospital?" I asked Draco, trying to change the subject.

        "What are you talking about?" he asked, as if what I had said was dumb. 

        "Your little girlfriend, of course. Hermione Granger." 

        "That filthy little mudblood? You've got to be kidding me, (Y/N)." he said, acting disgusted. 

        "That's exactly it. You act like a child who fancies a girl, teasing her in the schoolyard." I explained to him. 

        "You have no idea what you're talking about." Draco scoffed, genuinely irritated at me. 

        "It's obvious, Draco." I left it at that and told him I had to get to class. 

  ⚜

        I was walking with my eyes glued to the ground as I normally did on the way to class. Clutching my textbooks tightly to my chest and walking at a fast pace, I must not have been paying attention as I ran into someone's shoulder with my own. I noticed the figure I had accidentally run into dropped their books and kneeled down to pick them up. 

        "Oh my, I'm so sorry!" I said in a panicked tone, kneeling down beside them and reaching for their books to try and help pick them up. I glanced up to see who it was that I had run into. Sure enough, the first thing I saw was red hair. My stomach dropped and an immediate blush formed on my cheeks. Of all people, I had to run into Ron? 

        Ron quickly snatched his books up and stood. I stood with him and he scowled at me. "Ha ha." he said sarcastically, as if I had done this on purpose. He brushed past me and went on his way.

        I turned around and watched him walk away. I was truly sick of people treating me this way, thinking I'm some lowlife bully just because my brother is. People thinking I'm just like everybody else in my family. I was done being walked on and crucified without people even knowing who I really am. My anger had fully boiled over. 

        "I'm nothing like him, you know!" I snapped at Ron, who stopped in his tracks as he heard this. He turned around to me, obviously confused and speechless. I wasn't going to let Ron think poorly of me for no good reason. I mean, I fancied the lad. I snapped back forwards and angrily marched towards my class before he could speak. 

  ⚜

        The day came to an end and I went up to my dorm before curfew to make sure I'd be alone for a couple of hours. I plopped onto my bed and sighed heavily as it had been a mentally exhausting first full day back. The interaction between Ron and I ran through my head over and over again. Overthinking got the best of me and I was convinced Ron would hate me forever, that there would never be a chance for us. At the same time, I was mad at him and I was mad at the whole world. I kept telling myself I didn't need anyone, I didn't need to be accepted. 

        Suddenly I heard a voice coming from the corner of the room. "Oh, (Y/N)!"

        I knew that voice... it was Dobby! I quickly looked over to where the voice came from, and saw the elf running to me. "Dobby!" I cried excitedly, the elf jumping onto my bed and attacking me with a tight hug. "I missed you so much! I thought I'd never see you again!" I hadn't seen Dobby at all during the summer because he was now a free elf. My Father was furious about accidentally freeing Dobby and blamed Harry Potter for losing him his servant. I was happy that Dobby had been freed so he didn't have to endure any more abuse, but I felt as if I had lost a friend. 

        "Dobby would never forget about his friend." he said to me, reassuringly. After letting go of our long hug, Dobby pointed at his foot which he lifted up in the air so I could get a closer look. "Look, look! Dobby has clothes! Dobby is a free elf!" Dobby had never been more excited, hopping on one foot as to stay balanced. The foot Dobby had shoved in my face had a worn down old sock on it. 

        I chuckled at how silly Dobby was being. "I see! I see! How does it feel to be a free elf?!" 

        Dobby put his foot down and stood on two feet again. "Absolutely wonderful! Harry Potter freed Dobby, you know?!" 

        I smiled and nodded my head. "I know." I cocked my head to one side as I looked at both of Dobby's feet. "Harry Potter only gave you one sock?" I chuckled again at the sight of Dobby only having a sock on one foot. 

        Dobby ignored my comment. "Is (Y/N) okay? You looked upset before." he said, concerned. 

        "Today has just been rough." I looked down at my lap. "I guess all my years at Hogwarts have been rough." I admitted. 

        Dobby had a look of pity on his face as he sat down in front of me. "What's causing you all this pain?"

        "Everyone thinks I'm just like my family. They think I'm cruel, so they end up being cruel towards me." I sighed. 

        "That's not fair. Dobby'll tell the whole world how great (Y/N) is!" he said, trying to cheer me up.

        "Thanks, Dobby. That's not all though. The boy I fancy hates me too, I think. I accidentally ran into him in the halls today and I'm pretty sure he thinks I did it on purpose. He thinks I'm just like Draco." I said, defeated. 

        "Who do you fancy?" he asked.

        "Ron Weasley." I hesitantly told him. 

        "Harry Potter's best friend? Well, that's easy enough! Dobby'll tell him right away!" He was getting ready to snap his fingers to apparate. 

        I grabbed Dobby's hand just before he could snap. "No, no, no! You mustn't tell him! You mustn't tell anyone, Dobby!" I pleaded with him. 

        "Why not?" he looked confused. 

        "Just promise me you won't."

        "Alright, Dobby promises." 

        Dobby and I chatted about his life as a now free elf until it was curfew and we could hear people coming to the dorm. 

        "Come see me again soon!" I whispered as I waved goodbye to Dobby. With a snap of his fingers, he had disappeared in plain sight.  

  ⚜

        all of this support is really motivating me to write again! i haven't felt motivated in a very long time. thank you so much.