The Goblet ⚜ Chapter Eleven

To choose one champion from each school for the Triwizard Tournament, the Goblet of Fire was placed as it had the ability to pick the most worthy candidates from all the names that were thrown into it. An age line was drawn around the goblet to prevent anyone under the age of seventeen from entering because the tournament could be quite dangerous. Everyone gathered in the Great Hall for the greatly anticipated champion selection. 

        I sat at a table, slouched with my cheek lying on my fist as I listened to the Headmaster speak. He dimmed the lights surrounding the room with a wave of his arm to increase suspense and emphasize the bright blue fire that burned within the goblet. The fire from the goblet would then turn into a sudden red whenever it spat out a piece of parchment that was singed around the edges and read the chosen Triwizard Tournament candidate. Dumbledore read the chosen candidates aloud. From Durmstrang Institute, Viktor Krum was called. From Beauxbatons Academy, Fleur Delacour was called. Last but not least, from Hogwarts School, Cedric Diggory was called. The entire room filled with cheers as Dumbledore announced that we finally had our three champions, though only one would go home with the Triwizard Cup and eternal glory. 

        We all thought the selection was over, but then the Goblet of Fire began to glow a bright red once more. I sat up straight as this had piqued my interest. A stunned Dumbledore walked back over to the goblet and caught the piece of parchment that was spat up into the air. Confused, he read the name written. Harry Potter. Everyone was stunned. I looked over at Harry, who seemed to be just as stunned. I could see Hermione pushing him to go over to Dumbledore. Just behind them, I saw Ron who was glaring at Harry. I don't think I'd ever seen Ron look so hostile towards Harry before. Ron's eyes didn't leave his best friend who slowly wandered up to the Headmaster. Dumbledore looked furious, as did many of the students. Some of the students even called him a cheat as he walked by and pointed out the fact that Harry wasn't even seventeen yet, so how did he manage to enter his name into the goblet? This was all very confusing, yes, but I was probably one of the few who wasn't angry at the situation. Maybe it was because I didn't take much interest in this said contest in the first place. 

  ⚜

        Walking into the Slytherin common room that night, I was called over to the couch by Draco. He was surrounded by his proud little posse who were laughing at everything he was saying. I sat on the couch facing him. 

        "Can you believe Potter? That cheat." he scoffed. I shrugged. "Maybe it's a good thing. He'll die in that competition." he laughed and sprawled his arms out across the top of the couch. The rest of his posse laughed with him. 

        I rolled my eyes at him. "I'd like to see you try and survive a tournament like that." 

        "Oh shut up. Now, I was thinking..." he sat up from his relaxed position and leaned towards me with his arms in his lap. "What if I made buttons for everyone at school? I was thinking they'd read 'Support Cedric Diggory - The Real Hogwarts Champion'. Then the text would change to 'Potter Stinks'." Draco and his gang laughed together. 

        I shook my head. "You are absolutely ridiculous." I scoffed at his obsession with Harry. "I'm going to bed." I got up from the couch and headed to my dorm. 

  ⚜

        The next day I sat on a bench in the courtyard, reading from one of my textbooks to catch up on some studies. My nose was so buried into the book that I didn't even notice Ron walking up to me. 

        "Hey you." he greeted me, sitting down on the bench next to me. 

        "Oh hey." I looked at him and smiled, shifting my body slightly so I was facing towards him. 

        "How're you?" he asked. 

        I closed my book. "I'm alright. And you?" 

        "I've been better." he looked glum as he broke eye contact. 

        "What's wrong?" I asked, concerned. 

        "It's just Harry. Why would he sneak his name into the goblet? Not just that, but how?" It seemed as if he'd been racking his brain on this topic for a while. 

        "Do you really believe he did it?" 

        "Well I don't see how else his name could've gotten there." 

        "I don't know..." I tapped my finger against the cover of my book. A few moments of silence passed. "My brother was talking about making buttons that say 'Potter Stinks' on them."

        "Good. Maybe he deserves it." I could tell Ron was just saying this out of anger and that he didn't really mean it. 

        "Are you sure this is the reason you're mad at him?"

        "Well..." he looked down at the ground.

        I placed my hand on his forearm to comfort him and encourage him to continue his thoughts. His eyes moved to the placement of my hand. 

        "It's just all adding up. Harry's the famous one, and now he gets to compete for eternal glory. I'm always pushed to the side." I could see this was hard for him to admit. 

        "You're the youngest of your brothers too, right?" I added.

        "Exactly." he sighed. "I'm just an afterthought."

        "Not to me... you're my first thought." Butterflies formed in my stomach and my heart skipped a beat once I realized what had just come out of my mouth. 

        Ron smiled in a way that let me know my words had comforted him and he glanced back up at me. 

        "I don't know what's going on now, but Harry never struck me as the sort to bask in the limelight. It could all be a misunderstanding. He is your best friend after all." I told him. 

        "You're probably right. I just can't help feeling this way."

        "I understand. Just take your time." I reassured him. 

  ⚜

        we've hit 2k already! and just a day after christmas! this is insane. i'm so so happy. sorry about not posting last week, things have been hectic because of the holidays.