The Breakdown ⚜ Chapter Eight

As there was nothing better to do during break, I made my rounds around the castle just wandering and exploring every bit I could. Draco came around the corner and greeted me, joining me in my walk. I wasn't thrilled that he had decided to join me, but I tolerated his presence as he went on a self-obsessed rant about nonsense I didn't care to entertain. 

        "What's that?" Draco realized my silence and redirected the conversation onto the necklace I was wearing that Luna had gifted me. 

        I looked down at the charm. "It's a Christmas gift. Luna made it for me." 

        "Hideous, isn't it?" Draco raised his eyebrows. 

        I ignored the snarky comment. "It's a charm that's supposed to repel Nargles."

        Draco laughed at me. "Loony can't really be serious about that rubbish, can she?"

        "She is. And so am I." 

        "Ah, don't tell me. How can you believe that rot?" 

        "It's not rot to have an imagination, Draco." 

         He rolled his eyes. "This is why you're an embarrassment to the family."

        I stopped in my tracks and I could feel my heart drop to my stomach. "What?" I whispered to him in disbelief as I suddenly couldn't find my voice. It's one thing to feel like an outcast, but it's another thing to have it validated to you by someone you love. 

        Draco stopped walking as well and faced me. His face warped into one full of judgement and entitlement. Narrowed eyes and a straight mouth as sharp as a blade tore through me as he tilted his head up slightly. This way he could look down at me, like I was now beneath him. In just one moment I had turned into another one of his prey. "You heard me."

        I was paralyzed, but I could no longer stay silent. "Don't you dare... don't you dare call me the embarrassment. What are you? Just a boy who cries for his daddy any chance he gets? An idiot you are, confronting a dangerous beast and expecting no retaliation. Then you go and beg Daddy to abuse his power for you, because you cried in front of the entire class! You only get a scratch and what, Buckbeak gets his life taken? Is that really fair to you? You are one sad excuse for a wizard." I had lost it, I had snapped. I was letting my brother have it, passionately yelling at him whilst he stood there looking completely baffled. I don't think I had ever stood up for myself like this before. 

        I turned on my heel to leave. I began to storm off away from Draco when I noticed Ron standing to the side of the hallway. It seemed as if he had been staring at us the entire time, his eyes were wide and he looked utterly dumbfounded. Of course Ron had to be there, just my luck. I shot him a glare and continued my stride away from my brother. 

        My pace was swift as I darted into the first open classroom I saw. Luckily the classrooms were all empty because of the holidays. I leaned against a teacher's desk as my mind raced and my emotions got the best of me. There was no holding back now, I burst into tears and ugly sobs leaked out of me. Everything I ever felt had been validated by a single sentence from my own brother. My cheeks quickly got soaked with salty tears that ran past my lips. I could even taste my dejection. 

        My vision was blurry but I could make out a certain redheaded boy standing in the doorway. I rubbed my eyes with my sleeves to try and clear my vision and wiped the salt water off my face in a desperate attempt at looking presentable. "Good show, was it?" I snapped at Ron. He inched his way towards me, a sympathetic look in his eye. "What're you doing here? Just leave me be." Some more tears and a few sobs escaped me as I turned my head to look away, trying to hide my face in my sleeve now. He continued to approach me and keep silent, so I shot up. 

        "Everyone hates me. Our classmates, my own family, even you! You hate me!" I broke down and tried pushing Ron away from me who had then stood just inches away from me. He grabbed ahold of my wrists and I tried to get out of his grasp violently. I couldn't stop crying as I screamed at him. "You hate me, I just know it! You hate me just like everyone else!" 

        "Shhhh...shhhh..." Ron tried to calm me. As he was shushing me, he took me into his embrace. After a bit, I began to calm down and relax into his arms. My cries getting softer as I buried my face into his neck. Snug in his arms, he began to pet the back of my head to comfort me. 

        "I hate him...I hate him..." I referred to Draco shakily, between sniffles. 

        I stood there, in Ron's arms, for what felt like an eternity. I was smothered in his aroma, which distinctively smelled like cinnamon.  "I don't hate you, (Y/N)." I slowly moved my head up and out of his neck, looking up at him. His eyes were apologetic and he gave me his signature side smile that was ever so slight. A wave of relief washed over me as I smiled back at him. 

  ⚜

        hey guys! i have some ideas on where to take this story but not exactly sure how i should piece them together. have any ideas/suggestions on what you'd like to see with these characters? anything you'd like to see added or elaborated on more? comment below or message me! (: