Picnic ⚜ Chapter Thirteen

Dobby's day off for the month was finally here and I was on my way to the picnic we had arranged when Ron caught up to me. 

        "Where are we heading, missy?" Ron asked as he walked with me. 

        The usual smile I wore when Ron was in my presence crept across my face. "I'm on my way to have a picnic with Dobby actually." 

        "Dobby? Are you two close?" he asked me.

        "Very. He was the only friend I had before I came to Hogwarts." I ignored the fact that Luna and Ron were the only other friends I had made during my time at school. "Care to join us?" I invited him to the picnic with us. 

        "If it's not too much of a burden." Ron's face lit up. 

        "Oh hush." I nudged his shoulder with mine. "You're never a burden to me." 

        The tips of Ron's ears turned red and his cheeks flushed as he looked down at his feet while he walked. 

        We walked outside of the castle and headed down to the Black Lake. The weather was getting much more chilly out and the breeze felt like tiny knives stabbing at my cheeks. I spotted Dobby's small frame under a giant beech tree on the edge of the lake. As we got closer, I noticed he had laid out a blue and white plaid picnic blanket with loads of food spread out across it. When he noticed us approaching, he began to jump up and down with excitement. 

        "(Y/N)! (Y/N)!" Dobby yelled at me. He came running from the tree to me, tackling my legs with his tight embrace. "Come see what Dobby brought for you!" He took my hand and excitedly led me to the picnic blanket, seeming not to notice Ron's presence. The food sprawled out across the blanket consisted of various sandwiches, roast chicken legs, bacon and steak, piles of bread buns, roast potatoes, strawberries and one entire apple pie. 

        "Whoa..." Ron was speechless at the sight of so much food for one little picnic. I definitely wasn't expecting this much food either. 

        "You didn't have to do all this, Dobby!" I told him. 

        "Miss (Y/N) deserves it!" he assured me. "Now that Dobby works in the kitchens, it's a piece of cake to get food for the picnics!" 

        "Well I'm glad I brought Ron along to help me get all this down." I turned to Ron whose mouth was practically hanging open. "Oh go ahead and eat before you drool on yourself!" 

        Ron then went over to the picnic blanket and sat down, digging right into the roast chicken legs. I chuckled at the sight and went over to the blanket with Dobby and sat. I picked up a sandwich and began to eat it, noticing that Dobby was only watching us eat. 

        "Don't just sit there Dobby, join us!" I encouraged him to eat. 

        "But Dobby made this for (Y/N)." he seemed confused. 

        "You aren't going to go through all the trouble of getting this for us and not enjoy it yourself. Please eat, Dobby." 

        He seemed hesitant to grab a bun, but eventually nibbled on it. The deliciousness of the food hit him and his eyes widened. Dobby then went ahead and devoured the food he brought like he had never tasted something so yummy. I watched both Dobby and Ron stuff their faces as if they were starving for days before this picnic. 

        I chuckled at them. "You guys are like two peas in a pod." 

        Dobby's big eyes looked up from his food and onto Ron, almost like he had just realized Ron was there. He put down his food. "(Y/N) has talked a lot about Ron." 

        My eyes enlarged in shock and I shot Dobby a look that tried giving him a clue as to shut his mouth. Ron slowed his eating and looked up at Dobby. 

        "Hm? Good things I hope." Ron replied. 

        "Very good things. (Y/N) is quite fond of you." Dobby said happily. I died a little inside. 

        "Oh?" he looked towards me. "I'm quite fond of her as well." A great smile formed on Ron's face.

        A blush formed on my cheeks but I tried to ignore it. "Dobby's just saying that because you're one of the few friends I've made after him." I tried to downplay the comment. 

        Ron shrugged and proceeded to eat. I glared at Dobby and he put his hands together, his eyes shooting from side to side. He couldn't have looked more guilty. Just then, a massive breeze came out of nowhere and hit us. We all shivered but Dobby was the only one of us who wasn't wearing any warm clothes. He held his arms to warm himself after the breeze and his teeth started chattering. 

        "It's getting colder out, you should have warmer clothes." Ron told Dobby. "Here." Ron took off the handmade maroon sweater he was wearing to reveal a dark grey long sleeve shirt he had on underneath. He handed the maroon sweater over to Dobby. "You can keep it."

        "Oh sir, you are too kind!" Dobby eagerly threw on the sweater Ron had just gifted him. "Dobby knew Ron must be a great wizard since (Y/N) thought so highly of you, but Dobby did not know that you were also as generous of spirit, as noble, as selfless —"

        Ron laughed. "It's nothing, Dobby, really."

        "Oh but it is something! Dobby thanks you very much!" Dobby was ecstatic about his new sweater. 

        Ron might've thought it wasn't a big deal, but it was. It meant a lot to not only Dobby, it meant a lot to me as well. Ron continued to show how thoughtful he was through his actions. I gazed upon Ron who looked so content stuffing his cute little face. If Ron wasn't capturing my heart enough, this act of kindness towards my first real friend surely sealed the deal. 

        We continued to laugh and eat our hearts out for the remainder of the picnic. Both Ron and Dobby took a liking to one another which made me beside myself with joy.

  ⚜

        hooray for 3k! please vote on my chapters if you're enjoying so far (: