The understood misunderstanding - Part 1

Bela was pacing in her room back and forth. She was upset and annoyed. All day long, she had try talking to Mahirji but he had refused listening to her. She had finally accepted her feelings for him and wanted to confess but he'd been making it more difficult for her. And this, made Bela hesitate.

"What's wrong with Mahirji? He didn't want us to have a talk in private today. What if he doesn't want to listen to what I have to say ?! No, no Bela. There's nothing like that . He deeply cares for you and he's shown on various occasions, how much you mean to him. There must be another problem."

Bela was clearly in turmoil and she couldn't stop thinking about this.

"He's just refraining himself because he thinks I still love Yuvi. It's my fault only. I've never really tried to deny it, except when everyone thought I was pregnant. I should have made it clear distinctly that I never loved Yuvi, to start with."

Bela whacked her head for being so stupid. She was now annoyed with herself. Yet, she was determined to change this situation and make things right. She knew he was somewhere downstairs, helping with the last minutes details for Kuhu's baby shower.

"This is such a strange family! Every now and then, there's a party in this house. Uff "

With that, she made her way downstairs, eager to do the task at hand, forgetting about getting dress for the party. The house was all in darkness, with only the little decorative lights on. Bela could distinguish balloons and flowers everywhere. Walking down the stairs, she finally saw a man's silhouette in the middle of the living room. Bela couldn't see who it was, due to the dimness of the room, but as soon as she spotted the little earpod, she knew who it was .

"Tsk,Tsk. Always on the phone. Even on a day like this, count on him to be focus on work only. Guess Sumi ma hasn't noticed him yet." , she chuckled.

Shaking her head, she made her way to where he was standing, oblivious to her surroundings. When she was barely a meter from him, she stopped and took a deep breath. His back was still facing her. She guessed it was better that way, for she would be able to speak without faltering. She knew she could do this. She had to do this.

"I have to talk to you and before you say anything, it is really important and I don't want you to interrupt." Bela spoke in a go.

"I know everything in our lives, has been really complicated lately, starting with our marriage. Whatever happened that day, let's forget about it. Maybe it was meant to happen. Maybe it had to happen, to make us realize where we both stand today. No matter what people say, I know what our relationship is. "

Bela took a step forward and extended her hand to reach for him .

"It's high time to leave the past behind and move ahead, because you and I are meant to be. Mahirji, I lo..."

As soon as Bela touched his shoulder, she knew something was amiss. This was not Mahirji. She immediately removed her hand and took two steps back flabbergasted.

"Wh...wh..who is this?"

Just as she asked this question, the lights went on and her eyes were dazzled. When her sight was adjusted to the lights again, she covered her mouth with her hand to hide her surprise. Indeed Yuvi Sehgal was stating in front of her and he was smiling. To say Bela was shocked, was an understatement.

"Bela."

She heard someone calling her from the left, and she went from shocked to panicked.

"No.No.No. Please let this be a dream. This can't be happening.", she silently murmured.

She slowly turned toward the voice and halted, to face her husband, who was standing there next to Sumi ma, both of them with puzzled faces.

She took a step towards him, eager to explain what just happened.

"Ma...Mahirji...I.. thought...I didn't mean to...I didn't know'' she stammered, still astounded. "Mahirji, I.."

A hand gripped her elbow and made her stopped in the tracks.

"Bela baby. You were saying something right? Why don't you continue and then see the rest later ? Hmm? " Yuvi said with a sweet smile.

On hearing him, both Bela and Mahir got infuriated. Bela pulled on her arm to get out of his grip while Mahir stepped towards Bela.

"I am not your baby."

"She is not your baby."

They both spat at the same time and looked at each other. Bela could see anger in Mahir's eyes and concluded he'd mistaken her again.

"Mahirji, I...''

"Bela beta. Go get ready for the party. The invites will be here soon. Mahir beta, you go change too.'' Sumitra decided to interrupt in between.

"But ma, let me explain.'' Bela was overwhelmed. She wanted to clear this unnecessary misunderstanding, not wanting them to get the wrong idea, specially Mahirji. ''That's not what I..''

''I know beta.'' Simi looked at her with understanding in her eyes and instantly Bela felt a part of the weight lift of her chest. ''Now go take care of you and your husband.''

Bela knew what she meant by that and a look at Mahirji told her that the man was boiling from inside.
He had barely said two sentences and his eyes were spitting fire. Bela was unsure on what to do next.

As if feeling her hesitations, Mahir grabbed her hand firmly and made his way up the stairs, to their room, leaving a worried Sumi ma and a furious Yuvi behind.
Bela, who was left with no choice, gladly followed. She was worried though, about what awaited her, for she knew today's incident was the straw which broke the camel's back.