The understood misunderstanding - Part 4

Bela was feeling reckless. Almost four hours had passed since they both came down and it's been almost half an hour, she had lost sight of Mahirji. Right now, she was stuck talking with Anu and two other girls she never saw before. Anu was blabbering on how she knew Mahir since childhood and was sharing funny stories about them. Bela rolled her eyes. She knew all this was meant to make her jealous. Anu didn't like her at all because she was in love Mahir, everybody knew that, and she held her responsible for taking him away from her. As if Mahir was interested in her. Bela chuckled. She was telling them in which circumstances Mahir's and Bela's wedding happened. Bela, for the umpteenth time, looked for Mahir but in vain and sighed again. She knew he was avoiding her and she was confused. He had said he believed her and now he was behaving like this. But he also said he needed time, so the best she could do, was wait. Bela was so lost in her thoughts, she was not paying attention to Anu anymore and she hadn't heard Sumitra approached them.

‘‘I agree their wedding happened in the most unlikely way possible, but it did happen na Anu beta? Whatever the situation may be, Bela and Mahir are married now and nobody can change it apart from them.’’

Sumitra said with annoyance to Anu and this latter was baffled. Bela was also startled by her retort.

“Bela, I need to talk to you for a moment. If you'll please excuse us girls.”

All three of them scattered away, saying they were going to fetch drinks.

“How are you beta? You seem sullen tonight.”

Bela knew in which direction she was going and looked around again with hope of seeing Mahirji. Hearing Sumitra's chuckles, she was puzzled.

“To your left, near the pillar.”

Bela turned hastily and her eyes caught Mahir's. Relief could clearly be seen on her face as they shared an eyelock. On hearing Sumi ma's laugh, Bela understood what she'd been upto and she turned crimson. She returned her attention to her, still embarrassed.

“Feeling better now that you've seen him? ”, Sumitra asked still smiling. Bela just nodded, not wanting her  voice to give her away.

‘‘What's wrong beta?’’

Bela looked at her and took a deep breath. She decided to go with the truth. Who knows, maybe she could get some comfort from Sumi ma .

“Everything is wrong ma. Yuvi's been giving me stealthy glances since tha party started and Mahirji has been playing hide and seek for a moment now. I don't know what to think anymore. I mean it's not Mahirji's fault. I know he doesn't doubt me in such a way, but with whatever happened this evening, it's totally normal his mind is twisting right now. I've made a fuss last time because Anu was going on with : my Mahir this, my Mahir that. He must be in a worst condition. After all, I was supposed to get married to Yuvi. He might be thinking we were in love or may still be.”

“ Are you? ” Sumitra asked calmly.

“What?‘’

‘‘Were you or are you still in love with Yuvi?’’

“What? No! Never! I had explained you right, I only said yes ,so that  Suhani and Pratham could get married. I never wanted to get married in the first place, and definitely not to Yuvi. It's really a relief he ran away that day. Now I've come to know Mahirji and got used to him.”

“You know what?! Both of you will make my hair go white earlier than it should”, Sumi ma said jokingly. “I've talked to Mahir a while and he defended you,  just as you just did. You're both afraid of what the other thinks and what will be said that you've always avoided talking to each other. Beta, Mahir has always been like that. He doesn't know how to express himself. The same goes for you as well. Have you ever made it clear to him that you didn't love Yuvi? Have you told him as you told me, why you agreed to get married in the first place ? I know you haven't always been kind to him, and I'm not blaming you. It's somehow normal. Still, you have to understand him, for it is still in his head. With Yuvi's comeback, it must be harder right now. You both care for each other immensely and neither of you want to let go of the other. Like I said to Anu, you are wife and husband no matter what. Whether this status should change or not , it's upto you both only and anobody else, not even me of Andy. For that, one of you will have to make the first step. Sometimes more than words, actions are needed. Either it is from you, or from him.”

Sumitra could see her words had made its effect on her. Bela was once again staring at Mahir but this time she saw determination on her face.

“Good. I think my job is done, in making my two  stubborn yet innocent children see some senses. We should see some actions now.‘’ Sumitra thought to herself. “Now there's only one kid left to make see some sense but I'll get to him later.”

‘‘Beta you think about my words and make good use of them. Now I really need to check on Kuhu and attend the other guests.’’ She side-hugged Bela, leaving her alone in her thoughts.

Bela decided to go to Mahirji and talk to him. Maybe not the heart of the matter directly, but still she wanted to be next to him, for both their comfort. She had already taken two steps ahead, when Yuvi came in front of her and blocked her way, standing between Mahir and her.