The understood misunderstanding - Part 3

The Sehgal house was beautifully decorated with little lanterns and balloons, just as Kuhu wanted. All the guests, seemed to be pleased with the warm welcome they received from the family. Everyone was busy chatting and making jokes, except the Sehgals themselves. They were all tensed with the newest happenings in their house but nobody let it show on their faces. They entertain their guests with smiles plastered on their faces. While some of them didn't really care about it, the others were worried, sensing their world was going to turn upside down.

Sumitra was upset. Everyone knew Mahir was her dearest one. She loved Yuvi with all her heart but Mahir and her had always shared a special bond. Mahir had always been caring and responsible, while Yuvi was the reckless and impulsive one. The older brother was always making up for the mistakes of the youngest one. The situation they were in today, was proof of which one was trustworthy. She sighed . She had excused herself from her friend, saying she wanted to make sure Kuhu was comfortable. Right now, she was standing in a discreet corner, where she was observing her children from. Yuvi was joking with some of Kuhu's and RJ's friends. Sumitra noticed the way he was looking at Bela from the corner of the eye and she sighed again. She could see Bela was feeling uncomfortable and refused to look at him. She kept looking for someone and sighed with annoyance. This made Sumitra chuckled. She knew Bela was in love with Mahir but both of them were clumsy and didn't know how to confess. She couldn't blame them though. Their marriage itself, started in the most weird way possible. She knew it was normal of both of them to be insecure, and with Yuvi's coming back, it could get worse. But it could also improve and make their relationship stronger than it was. Along with Mahir, she had heard what Bela had said. She had been horrified for a moment but when she heard  her Mahir's name, she was relieved. She had seen the distress in Bela's eyes when she caught sight of Yuvi. In a jiff, she knew from the bottom of her heart, Bela never loved Yuvi. Her relief was for a short time, for when she heard Bela's name from Mahir, she knew he was totally enraged. Her eyes searched for him and she saw him near a pillar taking with Bultu and his girlfriend. Her heart ached for her son. She could see he was making an effort to appear cheerful, but his eyes said otherwise. He was looking back and forth from Bela and Yuvi and he was obviously frustrated with his brother. The only comfort Sumitra could see in his eyes, was the fact that Bela was looking for him, and she realized he had willingly kept himself from his wife's sight. Making up her mind, she made her way to where he was standing.

‘‘Oh! Hello aunty! How are you?’’ Bultu asked on seeing her.

“I'm fine beta, and you?”

‘‘I'm good thanks. Of course aunty, you'll feel great! After all your lovely son came back home after so many days.’’ Bultu told her obviously merrily, not noticing the way Mahir tensed beside him

‘‘Hmm. Mahir beta, I need to talk to you’’ Sumitra said looking at him pointedly.

‘‘Oh you stay here and talk to him. We were going to congratulate Kuhu and RJ anyway and say hi to Yuvi. See you later buddy.’’

With that, Bultu and his girlfriend headed towards Kuhu leaving Sumitra and Mahir behind. Mahir knew what her mom wanted to talk to him about, and he wasn't sure he was ready for it. He had asked Bela for some time and it was like the time apart from her, was making it worst for him. He sighed with annoyed, running a hand in his hair.

‘‘Don't go sighing with me.’’, Sumitra said while gently striking his arm, making Mahir smile at her. ‘‘Why are you standing in such a corner anyway? Are you avoiding someone?’’

‘‘No ma. It's nothing like that. I was just...’’

‘’Don't lie to me. I know you're avoiding her, which is somehow weird because I thought you'd be avoiding Yuvi instead.‘’

‘‘Well I actually am avoiding both of them.’’, he said sheepishly looking at her. ‘‘I'm so confused mom.’’

“Don't you believe her?”

“What? No! I mean yes! I do believe her. I am just... Well I don't know ma. Several thoughts is going through my mind right now. I asked her for some times to think about it . Oh don't look at me like that. I meant like, till the party is over. I know she cares for me but I'm not sure she loves me like I do. And now Yuvi is back. I am not saying she loves him. But ma, she was supposed to be Yuvi's wife, not mine. I was only the replacement husband. What if he wants her back?”

‘‘Even if he does, are you going to give her back? Will it be bearable for you?’’, Sumitra asked him calmly, making him agape. “The answer is no Mahir. It's clearly written on your face. Firstly, Bela isn't an object for you both to give and take as you please. This is not how I raised you both. I don't know where I went wrong with Yuvi but this is not you. I know you don't mean it, and you're just upset. Secondly, I've been watching you for quite a moment tonight. I've seen how you've been watching her. I know you noticed it too beta. She's been looking for you ever since you parted ways down the stairs. Not even once she looked at Yuvi. This evidently shows how much she loves you. She is as lost as you are. And have you seen how she was eager to make things clear this evening? She thought it was you standing in the living room. I know she was supposed to marry Yuvi, but like you told me this morning in the kitchen, he was the one who went away. You were the one who stuck the pieces of the mess he created back.  You are both my sons and I love you deeply, but somehow I am extremely glad Bela married you instead and not Yuvi. Bela can be so naive sometimes. You are afraid Mahir. Since your childhood, you've been covering up every single one of his messes. Both God and I know very much how many there were. You've always taken care of your brother, giving him everything he needed and whatever he wanted. You are thinking if he wants her now, how can you refuse him? For once in your life, be selfish Mahir. Think of you first and think of Bela. I know she may have hurt you a lot before, but could she really be blamed? This situation have been horrible for both of you and it's up to you both now, to take the best out of it. It's never too late to make things right and the ball is in your court.”

That being said, she patted his cheeks and left him alone, to let her words sink in and ponder about it. Leaving a pensive Mahir behind, she made her way towards Bela, for she knew her daughter in law, was also in need of some advices.