The understood misunderstanding - Part 6

( Not proof-read yet )

“I'm sorry.”

Bela had been dragged to the dance floor by Mahir and for once, she was not bothered by it. She had been forced to dance with him in the past, to pretend  they were a happy couple. Today though, it was different. Even if he hadn't really asked her for a dance, it was on his on will and this made her smile. She decided it would be this dance she'd remember as their first dance.

“Bela? Is every okay? You seem lost in your thoughts.” Mahir was worried she wasn't reacting. “What are you thinking you?”

Snapping out of her thoughts, Bela looked at him. She became more conscious of their predicament.
They were in the middle of the middle of the dance floor, surrounded by other couples dancing. A romantic song was playing in the background. Mahir's right hand was still firmly on her waist while his left one gripped her righr hand tightly.

‘‘I was thinking about our previous dances, and I just decided this is our officially first dance. ’’

Mahir was confused. ‘‘ And why so?’’

‘‘Because this is the first time we ate dancing without ma's blackmail.’’

They both chuckled. They were just swaying slowly to the music beat, not really paying attention to their surroundings anymore. 

‘‘Why were you saying sorry?’’ Bela asked and she could feel his grip tighten.

Mahir diverted his eyes. He had hoped she hadn't hear him. He indeed meant to say sorry but when he blurted it out, he was not sure anymore he could explain.

‘‘Mahirji?’’

Bela was confused. She knew she had been lost in her thoughts but she clearly heard him. She could not understand why he was being sorry. He has taken a stand for her after all! 
Mahir looked at her again and what she saw in his eyes, made her go weak on her legs. Her grip tightened around his neck.

“I am sorry for what I just said to Yuvi. I didn't .. I mean ... ” he took a deep breath and continued, “I was angry and jealous.“, he confessed. He could see her blush. “I heard what he said and it made me boil.”

“What did he say to you this evening?”

Mahir hadn't expect this question and Bela could see it threw him off guard.

“It's not important Bela.” He could see she was disappointed but he wasn't sure he could have this conversion in from of so many eyes.

“Uff we'll get this later then. I don't think I understand why you're sorry actually. He deserved your anger. ”

They were still on the dancefloor, several songs changed, but they couldn't care any less. They knew they had to have this conversation and it had to start somewhere. To the guests they were only a couple enjoying the party. For the family members, it was another matter. Yuvi was furious seeing them together while Kuhu was confused. Sumitra and Andy was happy to them finally spending time together, but they were also somehow worried .

“Oh trust me Bela. I am definitely not sorry for that. I know he deserved this and maybe more than that. It's not his place anymore to care about you. And he doesn't need to make comments on our relationship. What I'm sorry for, is about what I implied about you and me.”

“Uhh?” To say Bela, was abashed, was an understatement. This man was unbelievable!

“I didn't mean to belittle you in anyway. I said that on an impulse. I never meant to make you feel bad or whatever. ”

Bela could feel the tears coming to her eyes. This man in front of her, was a gem and he was hers. This realization made her smile with proud.

“Mahirji, why would you be sorry about this? You are my husband and this is your right afterall. Like you said, whatever happens or not between us in our bedroom, is only for us to know. ”

Mahir smiled at her and was about to say something, but he was interrupted by Anu.

‘‘Oh come guys ! How much dancing will you do today ?! Come here, let's chat. ’’

This made many giggles and they even got some comments from guests. Both of them were embarrassed but they were also pissed to be  interrupted. They blended among the guests and talk about casual things. Soon the guests started to leave and the family was finally let alone.

‘‘Thank you so much mom and dad for this party. We had a blast and everything was perfect.’’ Kuhu said.

Both parents were glad their kids had a nice evening and enjoyed themselves. Sumitra suggested them to  go bed as they must be very tired, specially Kuhu. The latter gladly obeyed and went to bed along with husband.

‘‘Ok kids. I'll be going to bed too. See you tomorrow. Good night.’’ Andy put in cheerfully. 

“Wait dad. I have to talk to you. ” Yuvi said.

Sumitra along with Mahir and Bela tensed and exchanged glances.

“Can't this wait tomorrow, son?”

“No. It is really important and can't wait.”

“What is it then, you want to talk about?” Andy asked , annoyed.

‘‘About Mahir's and Bela's divorce.’’ Yuvi dropped in, pinning the room to completely silence.

Both Andy and Sumitra were shocked, while Bela and Mahir were astounded and enraged by the nerves of this man.