Chapter 11

After the king explains the rules and conditions to the castle, along with my engagement to Renit, the prince finally removes my chains. He's cold, heartless, and doesn't speak as he extends an arm towards the open stone archway leading out of the throne room. Without the chains, the weight is gone, but I don't feel free.

The halls of the castle are stretched long and bare, unsympathetic as the heart of the witch standing next to me. At one point in my short life, the rain was my favorite scent. Along with the subtle breeze, the smell let me know that a storm was coming, whether gentle or not. The smell of rain covers him like a blanket and for the first time in my life, I can't stand the calming reminder.

My chambers are to be separate from his and Celestine's. But, since he is to be my future husband, our chambers are right next to each other in the farthest right tower of the castle. I don't bother asking how he feels about the situation, any answer I receive might be a sarcastic comment or him snapping entirely. There is no difference in his face from first finding me to now when he's had his whole future laid out for him.

The titanium band, a pale piece of metal with no design except for the strong lock, remains around my wrist. "Why can't I take this off?" I ask while we walk through the halls together. He walks slightly ahead of me to avoid any conversation. Either that or he's keeping his distance so we don't look like a couple.

"If I take it off, will you reduce the castle to rubble?" He retorts without bothering to turn around. The back of his head is full of black tufts of hair underneath his crown, smaller than his father's. There aren't any gems or crystals adorning their crowns, only solid gold with intricate, carved spikes reaching towards the ceiling of each hallway we walk through.

Silas, the crown prince, had offered to take a sniffling Celestine to her chambers, a smaller room for guests across the castle. Before he left with her, gently holding onto her elbow, he whispered into my ear not to worry—his chambers were two hallways away in the farthest tower left. His reassurance fell short but ever since he spoke, I've been trying to remember he offered to put off my parents beheading.

The image of them is stark in my mind. It doesn't seem real, yet I know it is. They're dead. My parents are dead and I can't bring them back. My mother's words ring true. Make him pay. I will, once this titanium bracelet is off my wrist—I'll reduce this entire castle to ruins and squash Renit first.

The ache in my chest travels directly to my heart. I don't want to be here and I want my parents back but if I do anything to show them they will pay, the punishment could go to Celestine and I will have no one left. Worse, they might keep her alive. I have to obey even if I'm decaying on the inside.

"Aren't we going to talk about this?" I follow him up a winding staircase of solid stone. Barred windows look out to the capital beyond and I stop, only for a second, to take in that view. The evening horizon is full of pinks and oranges—covering the sky in a pastel fluff.

Renit grunts. "Talk about what?"

"We're engaged!" I display my hand and the gold band wrapped around my finger. I've never owned anything gold, the king must throw this stuff around willy-nilly, doesn't he? The gold band around my finger is carved with Renit's initials so everyone knows I belong to him. If my life meant nothing, I might rip it off my finger and chuck it at the back of his head. "That's a worthy conversation topic if you ask me."

Renit reaches the top of the stairs and turns. With four steps separating us, he towers over me. He clenches his strong jaw and searches over my face. "I am a prince, I don't get to choose who I wed. This was coming all along, I expected it." That's all he has to say.

He turns, heading towards a perfectly rounded wooden door, tall enough for him to enter through. Two stone torches border the door and another small window catches my attention. If this place wasn't so beautiful, I wouldn't have a problem concentrating but every time the pink hues of the sky—Renit steps in front of the window to block my admiration.