Chapter 2

"What are your plans today, Aimrey?" Bren asks me when silence settles between us on one of our long strolls through Arego.

"I was thinking of training today. With you, of course," I offer.

He nods and a 'hmm' sounds from his throat. "I didn't know we were training today. You must have told the other Bren Finke."

I laugh and reach up to ruffle his shaggy, orangish-red hair. He bats my hand away and forces my palm in the other direction; as usual. He allows no one to touch his hair, not a single person. And he'll be as quick as a cat to stop someone from doing so. The reason so many of our battles were so long as children were because I refused to grant his wishes.

Bren sprouted much taller than I did, like a weed. I can barely reach his head anymore, let alone ruffle his already ruffled hair as he's a head taller than I am. As a kid, he was lanky. Now, after cutting down trees for so many years, is one of the strongest, leanest men in the village. The women drool over him.

I frown at a young woman with a tight corset smiling at him sweetly—until her eyes drift to our interlocked arms. She quickly averts her eyes and carries on through the market without taking another look.

Bren notices my scowl and scoffs. Our intentions aren't often full of purpose but with the solid friendship we have, anyone pushing their way in front of that is more cataclysmic than not. Besides, neither of us have the time to deal with a significant other that isn't each other. Being together, the two of us is enough to handle. If we weren't so stubborn, then maybe things could escalate into more than friendship.

"I think training sounds like a decent idea. Although, we can't go on a proper date without a proper meal," Bren decrees. He loops a muscled arm around my shoulder and pulls me into his side.

I roll my eyes at the word date. "Fine, but you carry it."

He tips his head back and laughs. "Deal."

The walk to the cliff sides isn't nearly as interesting as one might think. We've all taken that walk, most on the first day of arriving at this beautiful and isolated village. Towards the outskirts of the homes, stone, and wood, and along the outline of pine trees encasing us from the world, a dirt trail snakes from the village to those cliff sides—a swift drop off to the roaring ocean below.

There are no trees towards the cliff sides so there is nothing to obstruct the view of the land stretching beyond. Celestine's power grew these grasslands and ever since then, they have thrived.

The tall, deep green grass sways in the spring breeze of the afternoon, hours after Bren and I declared today is meant for training. I walk behind him, staring at the trail beneath my boots instead of his broad shoulders and the sack of food bouncing against his spine. The trail is only wide enough for one person at a time.

With my power, I can sense the dirt on my fingertips, cold and wet, calling up to me. As I will it, I open that door to my power, barely cracking it open, and the loose rocks and dirt particles travel up to my fingers, wrapping around like a second skin. As quickly as I give my power the chance to explore, I shut it back off and the dirt drops.

At the quiet thud, Bren glances back and I avert my eyes.

While my sister is the shining light in this family, many turn the corner and avoid walking near me. Once they hear the power I've been born with, I'm no longer the sympathetic girl who helped them when they arrived.

My mother, the witch of the inanimate, can move objects with her mind. My father can hear beyond the average ear. Celestine can grow anything she desires from the ground.