Chapter 13

Renit made a show of complaining about the changed training plans. He had to cancel with a Grounding specialist and pull back his reservation on the training room. With the way he made it sound, it was one of the most tiresome things he's ever done in his life. What a fool.

My power does not react well around closed structures. There's a reason I'm a witch of ground and not a witch of structure. To use my power, I need to be outside and away from anything I can break or split in two. It's happened before, I tried to move a giant boulder out of the way of my father's new structure—and took the entire thing down.

I wouldn't want to do the same thing to the castle and if I did that might be the end of my stay here and my so desperately sought-after engagement with Prince Renit. Instead of leading me down the many twisting and bare hallways with stone alcoves holding candles, Renit leads me outside the castle doors.

The morning is crisp and I pull my cloak tighter around me, a thick, dark fabric that hangs way too low for my comfort. It disappointed me to arrive back to my chambers and not see a heaping pile of clothes sitting on my bed. So, instead of tracking down Mani and asking for those clothes, it left me with Renit's cloak. And it's much too large for my small frame.

The black fabric nearly sweeps against the ground and instead of using the clasp, I have to tie the two stretches of fabric together, underneath my chin. If he wasn't such a mess of muscle and broad shoulders, then maybe the cloak would come close to fitting. But like everyone else here, Renit does nothing half-ass. That goes for training as well.

Renit leads me through the gardens, rather on the outside border of them so I don't get distracted and find Celestine, and past the stables. Each of the horses is beautiful, strong, and trained. As we pass by, one of the stable boys is saddle training a stubborn colt but from the way his voice is as soothing as the trickle of fountain water, he's a witch of persuasion. It won't take long before the horse obeys to his every wish.

I have only a few seconds to take in the beauty of the castle grounds. Although I plead and beg for Renit to let me take one look around, he does not offer that courtesy. Instead, he pushes me along and blocks me from the more beautiful things that have the chance to leave me frozen in awe. For another day, I'll have Silas show me around. He seems kind enough, much kinder than his brother. They're two sides of a gold coin.

Towards the side of the castle and past a small crumple of woods is a small field of grass once used for grazing. The broken wooden fence is still secure in some spots but for others, trampled either by someone's power or left here to rot. A clearing is the perfect place for me to train with my power and avoid hurting anyone in the process. But not letting Renit know that is the fun part. He still sees me as dangerous and willing to take everyone out.

We stop in the clearing and I extend my arm out to him, revealing the titanium band. "I'm not the only one out here," he warns me. "Archers are poised nearby to take you out if you even think about killing me or taking down the castle."

I roll my eyes. "Don't worry, princey. I won't do anything."

When he stares me down, not convinced, I shake my arm again impatiently. The sooner I get the bracelet off, the sooner I can start understanding my power. That's more important to me than anything, now that my parents are dead. Along with my deceased mother and father, an ache settles in my chest but I don't ignore it this time. Instead, I embrace it. Having their presence here, my mother's necklace against my chest and my father's will to make this power work, will get me through anything.

Renit steps close and pulls a key from his pocket. He looks all but pleased as the lock clicks and the titanium band slides away from my thin wrist. He sniffs.