Chapter Two

"Adana, come in for dinner!" Evelyn yelled out her kitchen window. She could see Adana sitting by the lake, by herself like she always was. Evelyn was concerned that maybe the kids in the neighborhood were being harsh to Adana and because of that she stayed to herself. She later came to realize that's just how Adana was. She found ways to entertain herself and become one with who she was. Evelyn was honestly surprised. She figured things would be a lot harder than what they were, especially with Adana being close to being out on her own.

Time had changed since Adana was just a little girl. The witches no longer had to stay within the woods barriers to hide. Evelyn was able to find a small but comfortable house within Rome's city limits. She wanted to keep Adana as far away from Larfire as possible. She wasn't for sure if knowing the truth about who she is would be the best for her, especially with Agatha still gone. Word got around the older witches that Amethyst attempted to kill Agatha, but Agatha was too powerful to be stupid enough to just walk into the castle. She used her power to create and illusion as if she was physically in the grand room. All along she was outside of the castle's gates, using more power to see everything inside. Her attempt to get Lawrence to acknowledge her was a fail and her face hasn't been seen around since. Evelyn heard a rumor she had met some naive dark witches and was brewing up a dreadful plan to take control of Larfire. Considering the possibility of what she heard being false, Evelyn didn't commit it to memory. Still, she wouldn't put it passed Agatha. She just didn't want Adana to grow up with that same hatred in her heart.

Adana stepped into her small home and took off her shoes at the door like Evelyn constantly instructed them to do. Adana always followed what Evelyn said, while Mekhi had a little rebellion in him. He hated always being compared to Adana and scolded for not being as "perfect" as she was. This caused small tension between the two. Mekhi felt Evelyn wished Adana was her child and not him. She denied it but he knew. He watched Adana as she walked in and innocently kissed Evelyn's cheek and sat next to him at their small dinning table. He side eyed her but Adana ignored it.

Evelyn placed the large bowl of beef stew in the middle of the table and Mekhi didn't hesitate to help himself. A loud smack echoed throughout the home, making Adana jump. She looked up from her silent prayer over the food and noticed Mekhi holding his hand, indicating Evelyn had slapped it.

"Don't be a savage!", Evelyn scolded.

"What is the point of placing the food in the middle if you don't want us to eat it?", Mekhi questioned.

"How many times do I have to tell you ladies first?", Evelyn said taking a small look at Adana.

Mekhi snorted. "So, now I have to be second to eat too? She's never even paying attention half the time, always have her head down. Why do you do that anyway?", Mekhi asked Adana.

"I'm blessing the food", Adana innocently said.

The room fell quiet. Mekhi was a little older than Adana and knew the truth about the craft. Unless she was praying to the lord of the underworld or Lucifer, no god was listening to her prayer. Good or bad magic, didn't matter. Witchcraft was forbidden.

Multiple knocks at the door broke the awkward silence. Evelyn curious walked to the front door and opened it, shocked to see their coven's grand leader. Cora, as most called her, took over once Agatha left to bring some type of order to the chaos. Things have actually been better since she's been over things but no one wants to admit it.

"Cora? What are you doing here on such short notice?", Evelyn asked.

"I did not mean to interrupt your family time, however, things in the village have become a bit ... maybe it's best if you come and take a look".