Chapter Seven

Two years later.

Diana heard a sudden loud boom of thunder. She looked around the barely lit area, and noticed she was in unfamiliar territory. Channeling her aura, she began to glow to properly guide herself so she could figure out where she was. Her aura helped her light the path in front of her that she now realizes was the staircase to the top of the castle. It was then that she realized she was in a dream because thanks to her, the castle was no longer standing. The only person she knew that would summon her in a dream is her mother. And that thought alone made Diana quickly ascend the steps. Her bare foot touched the stone and she looked down and noticed she was wearing her wedding gown. Blood stained the soft fabric. Diana debated if it really was Amethyst waiting for her at the top of the staircase, or if it was something more sinister.

Carefully, Diana gathered some of the dress into her hands and continued to walk up the steps. When she reached the top she took a deep breath and pushed the door open to reveal to herself who it was waiting for her. She stepped into the cold crisp air but saw no one. Lightening stuck the sky and the light almost blinded Diana. When it finally dimmed, no one other than her mother was standing in front of her. She didn't look the way she once did last time Diana had seen her. Her form wasn't as solid and her eyes were completely black. Her long black hair had turned silver and it didn't look as luxurious as it once had. Diana tried to take a step forward but was stuck in the spot she was standing in.

"Mother?", Diana called out.

"He still walks among you", Amethyst spoke.

"Who?", Diana asked.

"The massacre".

Diana remembered the seance Daniel demanded Glinda to do with the hopes of contacting Amethyst. They soon after discovered that one that was brought back from the beyond was no one other than Valder, Amethyst's diabolical brother. Diana had every opportunity to end him for good but he disappeared before she could manage to channel enough power. That was two years ago though, and she hadn't seen or heard anything about Valder since.

"I know this, mother. He hasn't surfaced since the day Daniel tried to contact you".

"Apollo could never contact me. You can't even do that yourself".

Diana could hear the distance in Amethyst's tone. Something was off. This wasn't the woman who had guided her to take the throne and embrace her true nature.

"Mother, what's going on? Something is different about you".

Amethyst's face scrunched up as if she was trying to fight something from within her. Some of the violet that was once in her eyes began to creep it's way back in. Her chest started to frantically move up and down and she almost looked terrified.

"It's the darkness", Amethyst choked out. "It takes over you. It takes over everyone".

"What do you mean? You don't have the darkness inside of you".

"Daughter ... please ... the massacre is coming and you must be ready".

"Why? What is he planning?".

Amethyst opened her mouth to answer but whatever she was fighting off consumed her. Her hair changed from silver to pure white like the winter's snow. Her eyes went back to being engulfed in black pools of absence. Her skin turned pale, even for her caramel complexion. She looked like she was withering away. As if something on the inside was eating at her. The person standing in front of her was not her mother anymore.

"What are you?", Diana asked.

Only response she received was a smile. Amethyst slowly walked backwards towards the edge of the castle's rooftop.