Chapter Eighteen

Zora looked at herself in her floor length mirror in her bedroom. She knew technically she had only been alive for five years, but her mind a body felt way beyond those years. She understood a lot; way more than a lot of people around her tend to realize. She felt that if people actually talked to her instead of acting like she was such a fragile creature, they would know that.

Zora wasn't sure why, but all she'd ever known was the four walls of her room. She was never allowed to go out into Larfire and explore. She never saw any life outside of the ones within her home. She felt like she was in a prison for being wrongfully accused of something. It had to be a false accusation because she had no idea why she was there. When she would ask her mother, she would only give her short and simple answers. Told her it was nothing she had to worry about it and it was for her own good. What was so bad in the outside world that Diana did everything in her power to keep her from it?

Zora used to be allowed to roam free in their backyard. She would love how the birds would fly around freely and sing sweetly to her. Zora sometimes would sing with them. However, every time she did sing, the birds would abruptly fall out of the sky and land on the ground next to her. Zora assumed that they were sleeping. She now realized, since her mind had advanced, that she was killing them. 

Zora gently touched her neck and swallowed the lump that was forming in her throat. Diana had told her in her countless bedtime stories of how some vampires are born with gifts. Their gifts are their contribution to the world and they use it for the greater good. Zora wasn't sure how a deathly voice like her could bring good to the world. She felt her eyes begin to water even though her mother told her not to cry every time she thought about it. Her mother must take pity on her. She shelters her in this room because she's afraid of what her voice might do. That isn't love. And if it was, Zora no longer wanted any part of it. 

Zora listened to see if she could hear any sign of movement on the outside of her bedroom door. Bishop was just two doors down but Zora hadn't seen much of him lately. He drifted away from Zora some time ago, which resulted in Zora's resentment. Whatever Bishop had going on within himself was no longer a concern of Zora's. Only person who seemed to care about her existence was Diana, and even that was a big time barely. 

Zora waited a few minutes before slowly turning the knob on her door and opening it. The area outside of her room was dark but she didn't need light. She knew this part of her home better than anyone. She tip toed out into the open and felt her way to the back sliding door leading to the backyard. Turning the latch, she unlocked the door and slid it open. She stepped out onto the grass and closed the door back behind her. She thought maybe she saw movement on the inside of the house but she didn't have time to figure it out. Now was her only chance and she was going to take it. Turning towards the trees, she used her vampire speed and ran into the forest, not once looking back. 

Zora's feet lightly sped across the forest floor, the wind from her speed tussling the leaves. She ran until she was force to stop by a lone body that she bumped into accidentally. Zora looked up at the tall creature from her position on the ground. It's nails were long and old looking as well as sharp. It wore a long black dress that covered everything but its hands and face. It's eyes bore into Zora in a way that made her fear in ways she never had before. It's face seemed to be twitching but Zora couldn't tell for sure with the small amount of lighting she had. 

"I-I apologize for bumping into you".

The creature said nothing, only stared at Zora without blinking. Suddenly, it reached down and grabbed a handful of Zora's shirt. Its mouth curled in a unknown way and slowly opened, revealing sharp shark like teeth. Zora had never seen anything like it and it was evident it was going to be the last thing she saw if she didn't do something.