Chapter 1

Evelyn's pov

I was sitting in the living room playing with my pet fox pup, Todd, while Papa and Uncle Merle watched TV. I wasn't really a big fan of electronics. I'm more into books, drawing, playing outside, and walking around the forest. The next thing I know, I hear a deafening beeping noise coming from the television.

"What the hell?" I heard my Papa mumble

The lady started talking about some disease spreading all over the United States and how everyone was turning into cannibals.

"Evie, honey." I heard Uncle Merle call me, making me turn to him. "Why don't you go to your room, alright."

I nodded my head before picking up Todd and going to my room. I sat down on my bed and started petting Todd while he lay his head on my lap. My door slammed open, making me jump, and Todd raises his head. I saw Daddy with a little bit of worry on his face making me look at him scared.

"Papa, what's the matter?" I asked. 

"Nothing, baby girl, "He said while walking into the room, heading towards my closet, "I need you to pack some of your things. We're leaving for a little while."

I nodded my head while hitting off my bed with Todd, sitting down, staring at me while I walk around to grab some clothes. Papa sat down my duffel bag towards me, letting me put my clothes, books, drawing journal, pencils, toothbrush, brush, Todd's food, and a squeaky toy.

"Is that all you need?" Papa asked, making me nod my head

He picked it up before walking out of my room and heading straight to the kitchen. I walked over to my bed and grabbed Todd before following Papa. I walked into the kitchen to see Uncle Merle packing up the kitchen, making me look at the both of them scarred and worried.

"Where are we going?" I asked, making Papa and Uncle Merle stop what they were doing and look at one another. "Is it because of what happened on the television?"

I heard Papa sigh before walking over to me; he bent down to my level and put a hand on my head.

"There are bad people outside, sick people that want to hurt us." He informed

"Like Grandpa." I asked, making him and Uncle Merle nod their heads, "Well, as long as we're together, we'll be fine."

They smiled down at me before continuing what they were doing. Papa grabbed my hand and guided me outside with some duffel bags on his shoulder. He opened the door, and we both quickly sped walk to the truck, he opened the door for me, and I let Todd hop in before me. I quickly climbed in before crawling my way to the middle while Todd sat on the passenger seat. I put my seat belt on before Todd crawled into my lap and sat down, look out the windshield as best as he can. Papa closed the door before putting the duffel bags in the back of the truck. I watched Uncle Merle come out with a couple of other bags before he put his gun and Daddy's crossbow in the passenger seat.

"Don't touch the weapons." He said while pointing at my face making me nod my head, "We don't need you or Squeaky over there getting hurt."

I glared at him for calling my fox "squeaky" but nodded my head. Either way, he laughed while patting my head, making me smile back at him. He left the door open as he walked towards the garage, immediately knowing that he is getting his motorcycle. I looked up at the stars when I heard someone yelling my Uncle's name, making my head snap in their direction only to see some woman that Uncle Merle used to bring around the house.

"MERLE!" She yelled as she made her way to the back of the truck

I sighed through my nose in annoyance.

"Guess the world hasn't changed yet," I thought "angry woman is still coming to our door."

Papa walked over to the driver's side after I heard someone slam the tailgate shut. He got into the truck keeping the door open just in case something happened.

"Do you think women will come to our new home?" I asked, making him smirk at me while I smiled back

"I wouldn't be surprised but, probably not." He said, making me nod my head

We heard yelling between the woman and Uncle Merle for a couple of minutes until we heard a blood-curdling scream making Papa and I turn our heads to see a man biting into the lady's skin. Blood went everywhere, and Uncle Merle immediately ran to the truck before slamming the door shut. Papa did the same before starting up the truck and speeding out of the driveway and down the road.

"What the hell, Merle!?" Papa shouted

"Don't look at me, little brother. The bitch was crazier than a monkey." He said, making me look down at Todd, confused

"Did I just watch that lady's death?" I wondered, "The bad people are monsters, and they will not get their filthy hands on my Todd or Papa or Uncle Merle."

We drove for a while in complete silence. I heard Uncle Merle and Papa talking about going to a city called Atlanta. They decided to go to our second home, the forest, and camp out get away from the city. So, we drove all the way to where we used to camp, which is really far from the city. I yawned and decided to put my head on Papa's shoulder while Todd was already curled up into a little ball asleep. My eyes slowly started closing before I couldn't fight them anymore, and everything turned black.

Daryl's pov

We were driving to Atlanta's outskirts, where Merle and I used to take Evie to go camping and shit like that. It's funny how I raised suck an intelligent kid to know so much about this shitty world. I look down at my sleeping girl, and a small smile found its way onto my face. I remember that her mother and I had a one-night stand, and 9 months later woke up to someone ringing the damn doorbell. Pissed off, I went to see who it was only to see a baby in a car seat with a note attached to it. It turns out I was the Dad, and she wanted nothing to do with anything that involved me. I was nervous at first, but Merle and I got the hang of it. After one of Merle's one night stands taught us how to take care of her.

"We need to keep her safe, bro," I mumbled, making him look at me before looking down at Evie. "I can't lose her."

"Yeah, she's one tough kid, little brother." He said, with a chuckle, "You did well."

I just shrugged my shoulders; after that, the car ride was silent.