Chapter 10

Evelyn's pov

It was early in the morning, and everyone was coming in the room, holding their heads and groaning in pain; Papa was sitting next to me eating some eggs that T-Dog made for everyone, saying 'it helps with the hangover.' I was ignoring everyone, thinking about what happened last night between Lori and Shane. If Carl and Rick found out, they would be crushed, Rick because his wife cheated on him with his best friend, Carl, because the man he looked up to as a second father just tried to hurt his mother and best friend.

"You alright, Ev." I heard someone mutter next to me

I looked to see that it was Papa.

"Yeah, just thinking," I muttered back with a smile, "I'm fine."

He looked at me with an unsure look before nodding his head and going back to his breakfast, I looked up right when Shane walked in, and his eyes immediately went from Lori to mine. He gave me a murderous look making me gulp and look down at my lap.

"What happened to you, man?" T-Dog questioned, "You're neck."

"Aw, I must have scratched myself in my sleep." Shane lied

"I never seen you do that before," Rick said, making me look up at him. He had a look of skeptic all over his face.

"Yeah, me neither." Shane dismissed, "Must not like me at all."

His eyes immediately found Lori's, and she squirmed in her seat, uncomfortably. I sighed before standing up, making everyone look up at me.

"Papa, may I be excused?" I asked

"Where you heading." He said

"The rec-room, to read some books," I explained.

He nodded his head, making me walk out of the room; that's when I realized that I hadn't fed Todd yet. I quickly ran back into the room and suddenly grabbed a plate of eggs before going back to Papa's room, and I share. I opened the door to see Todd still fast asleep; I set down the plate before whistling softly; he looked up at me before quickly running towards the plate of food. I pat his head before closing the door and going straight to the red-room. I walked into the room and went straight towards the bookshelf. I scanned the books until I saw a book about mystical creatures. I sat down on the couch before opening the book, quickly going into a world where no one can disturb me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was snapped out of my thoughts by hearing an alarm, making me look around confused. I quickly shut the book and ran to the room, hoping Papa was there. I slammed the door open to see our bags packed and gone; Todd was even missing. I ran around looking for everyone or anything until I saw Papa standing by a closed door. I ran to the door and started banging on the door.

"Papa! Carl!" I screamed, hoping they would hear me

Everyone turned their heads towards me, and they immediately ran towards the door.

"Evelyn!" Papa yelled, banging on the door, "Open this damn door!"

Tears started rolling my face.

"Why can't I get inside?" I thought, confused, "I want my Papa, I want Carl. LET ME IN!"

I sunk to the ground with my back to the door; I pulled my knees to my chest and wrapped my arms around them before burying my head as I started to hyperventilate. I don't want to be away from Papa. He's the only family I have now; Carl is the only friend that I will ever make in this world. What am I going to do if I can't get to them? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carl's pov

I was standing at the door with Daryl staring down at Evelyn; it looked like she fell asleep while crying. I stared down at her with sympathy and fear. She doesn't know that we will die in just a short amount of time. I wish I can hold her and tell her that she is the best friend I have ever had. Not even Sophia bonded with me as fast as Evie did. She was different. She was Unique, and I like that about her. That's what made me want to be friends with her.

"Carl, come here." I heard Mom call

I looked at Daryl before walking over to my Mom; she was sitting next to Carol and Sophia; all three were crying, holding onto each other.

"Carl, Honey, what were you doing over there?" She questioned me

"Daryl is pretty upset about Evie." I said, looking down at the ground, "We're not going to make it out of here, are we." 

She looked at me, shocked, before pulling me towards her.

"I understand that things are pretty scary right now, but you have to believe in your Dad and Shane. Okay?" She questioned, "They are going to get us out of here safe and sound."

I nodded my head before looking back up at Daryl. The man that everyone is afraid of is right now, starting at the only family he has on the other side of the door. I heard a beeping noise making me turn my head to see that Doctor Jenner was pushing in the code that would unlock the door. Right when we saw the door slide open, Daryl immediately went down. I heard a yip only to see that Todd was right behind me and not in Daryl's bag like he was two seconds. I picked him up as everyone started running out of the room, running next to Mom. We made our way to the front; Dad and Shane were trying to find ways to break the glass. 

"Rick, I might have something that would help," Carol stated while digging through her bag.

"A nail filer isn't going to help us, Carol." Shane dismissed her

Ignoring him, she took out a grenade making Dad look at her, shocked.

"I found it in your pocket on the first day of camp." She said 

"Everyone down!" Dad shouted before taking something out and throwing it at the glass, and he ran towards us before jumping, "Oh shit!"

BOOM!

Two glass windows shattered, and everyone grabbed their belongings, running towards the opening. Todd was yipping for Evie. I was holding him; we all ran towards the cars making sure to avoid the dead. Everyone but Daryl and Evie went into the RV since Jaquei, Dale, and Andrea stayed inside the CDC.

"Wait, look!" Mom called out, pointing at the CDC

We looked to see Dale and Andrea making their way to us; everyone was shouting at them before we all took cover, hearing a loud boom. Looking up, we see Dale and Andrea standing up before making their way towards us. I sighed, looking out the window to see Daryl staring down at Evie in the truck. Guess we didn't find a forever home after all.